We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Santander Switching Swizz

2»

Comments

  • rabbitjuice
    rabbitjuice Posts: 7 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker

    Hope you enjoyed leaving this comment and it made you feel cool

  • lyle1993
    lyle1993 Posts: 119 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    Do the direct debits have to come out first before you qualify for switch offer?


    Apologise if this has been asked before 😊

  • Caddyman
    Caddyman Posts: 368 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    I got caught out on the £200 switch offer to Santander because I didn’t scrutinise the list of qualifying direct debits properly. I set up my energy company direct debit and added my TV Licence direct debit and I waited for the money. It never arrived because Santander do not recognise TV Licence as a household direct debit. I was of course fuming with myself for not reading the small print carefully enough. I even phoned Santander to complain and was just brushed off with ‘You should have read the small print’. I’m cynical enough to think that they don’t include the TV Licence as a qualifying direct debit to catch people out on purpose. They make the rules.

  • danny13579
    danny13579 Posts: 1,895 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    Caddyman

    They make the rules.

    They do, but there's no rule saying you can't try again. The offer is still open. You can use the Santander account you used on the original switch, no need to open a new one.

    You then need to switch in another account. Set up your 2 direct debits from the list on the Santander account and move your £1,500 across again.

  • Caddyman
    Caddyman Posts: 368 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    Thanks for the advice, but since paying off the mortgage and a couple of other direct debits now also gone, I no longer have enough qualifying direct debits that I can move across. I only opened the account for free ATM withdrawals at Santander ATM's in Europe. I don't use the account for anything else.

  • lyle1993
    lyle1993 Posts: 119 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    I can’t for the life of me find the official thread for the santander switching offer. Has anyone been paid the incentive yet?

  • danny13579
    danny13579 Posts: 1,895 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    Here you go. It's a bit soon for the current offer which began in April, so people who requested switches when the offer started are only being assessed now, 60 days later. And it could be up to 30 days after that before they receive their incentive.

    More likely people have been receiving their incentives from the previous offer which ran between November 2025 and March 2026.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.