We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Car Finance Reclaim Tool

I have had several cars on finance since 2007 but have lost track of who the finance was with. Is there a legit tool that I can use to check my background history for these car finance deals? I ask s I get a lot of spam regarding "free" or "genuine" tools but have any of you had any good experience and can recommend one? Thanks!

Comments

  • Markdavid1962
    Markdavid1962 Posts: 137 Forumite
    Tenth Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker

    My Equifax, there is a link to it on MSE, I used it for my finance deals. Very easy to use and its free, it will give you the finance agreement number

  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 11,776 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    They will give you details assuming they a) actually got them as not all lenders report to them and b) haven't deleted them under GDPR

    Sam Vimes' Boots Theory of Socioeconomic Unfairness: 

    People are rich because they spend less money. A poor man buys $10 boots that last a season or two before he's walking in wet shoes and has to buy another pair. A rich man buys $50 boots that are made better and give him 10 years of dry feet. The poor man has spent $100 over those 10 years and still has wet feet.

  • 3Jewels
    3Jewels Posts: 1 Newbie
    Second Anniversary First Post

    I've used the MSE car finance reclaim email template to contact 3 finance companies. Blackhorse and Motonovo immediately sent an acknowledgement, but Totoya have failed to acknowledge receipt of the email, although I've sent it twice almost 1 year apart. I've double checked that I'm using the correct email address. Has anyone received an acknowledgement from Totoya Finance?

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.