We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Bank Fraud

2»

Comments

  • HisRym0
    HisRym0 Posts: 7 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post

    thank you - problem being is they are not really telling me anything. I spoke to the fraud side of the banking today and requested an update - nothing! i just have to sit and wait and hopefully i will get bored and bore off is the feeling i am getting. I have a face to face appointment tomorrow to hopefully discuss this further as i seem to be chasing my tail on the phone or chat lines.

  • grumpy_codger
    grumpy_codger Posts: 1,728 Forumite
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic

    You could also pseudo-arbitrage - e.g. scammer bets on 'heads' on their account and 'tails' on yours, and repeats until the winnings are all on their account. In practice, given that Betfair is also the world's biggest exchange, it would be very easy to 'back' one outcome on a sporting event on one account and 'lay' the same outcome on the other account to guarantee one account always wins.

    Ha-ha. OOT, but if you can do this you don't need to bet on 'tails' if you eventually lose there everything.

  • SiliconChip
    SiliconChip Posts: 2,323 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper

    It would help if you tell us which bank it is, some are better than others at dealing with fraud and members may be able to suggest strategies for dealing with particular banks.

  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 25,146 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Name Dropper

    Under PSD (Payment Services Directive) the pending transaction should be removed as fraud. This means that your avaiable balance is back where it should be before the tranactions.

    It could be that betting co's never fully processed the transactions, so they will never actually debit. As well as they would not talk to you about them, if you do not have any accounts with them GDPR.

    So unless the transaction are showing in your accounts as debits, then there is nothing for the bank to do.

    If they are showing & no refunds have been processed by bank then you need to speak to them to get them refunded, which would also cover any O/D charges.

    Life in the slow lane
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 42,074 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
  • Exodi
    Exodi Posts: 4,891 Forumite
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Hung up my suit! Home Insurance Hacker!
    edited 18 April at 8:54PM

    Haha indeed, I was going to mention the Martingale strategy but didn't want to veer too far off-topic, though I suppose the difference is that the perceived risk in losing the OP's money is lower than their own. It would be safer as you suggest for them to just bet on heads and win 50% of the time, or easier still as you first mentioned, play poker and all in on losing hands on the hacked account.

    FWIW while matched betting, I did see some victims of the Martingale strategy firsthand. I was doing minimum stake low volatility bets on roulette (common to meet wagering requirements for casino bonuses) and I witnessed 9 reds in a row. People were very 'unhappy' in the chat, the losses were great, gamblers fallacy was in full swing. I think the famous example is from the Monte Carlo casino where black appeared 26 times in a row causing millions in losses.

    Know what you don't
  • MisterMotivated
    MisterMotivated Posts: 672 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    I remember being up late one night channel-hopping and stumbled across a roulette show (think it was on ITV). I wanted to see how it compared to online roulette as I'd had a few tense bets with 6 or 7 straight losses while I'd been dabbling with Martingale strategy at the time. There were 13 in a row of the same colour. I decided at that point to abandon things and withdraw my balance from the casino site.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.