We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

broadband cables across front garden- hyperoptic

I recently came out of contract with Sky for broadband and decided to switch to Hyperoptic who were offering a 40% cheaper than the cheapest renewal price i could get from Sky, and they seem to have reasonable reviews. I was told somebody would come to do a 'survey' which was basically just a look at the property from the outside and that I didn't need to attend. On my return I realised that somebody, presumably the Hyperoptic engineer, had laid a cable from the pavement across my front garden to the house. This cable is not dug in and is laid quite casually through and over plants. It looks unacceptably vulnerable to me. The existing Sky broadband comes through a (I think copper wire) cable buried underground. I have raised the issue with Hyperoptic and sent them photographs showing what I am concerned about by email. When no response was forthcoming I followed up with calls to be told several times somebody would get back to me, which hasn't happened. With the installation date a few days away I have as yet had no meaningful response, and I am inclined to go back to Sky and renew despite them being more expensive, so as not to have a vulnerable-looking cable stretched across the plants in my front garden. I thought I'd post this here in case anybody has experience of persuading broadband providers to bury cable satisfactorily between the cable chamber in the street and the house.

Comments

  • flaneurs_lobster
    flaneurs_lobster Posts: 12,459 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    So the install hasn't actually happened yet? Is this moving from FTTC to FTTP?

    Maybe the cable will be buried (although I thought such cables needed to be ducted) as part of the install?

    At the time of install you have the right to decide if you are happy with the siting of new kit (cables and any holes that need to be drilled, internal boxes) and say no if you are not happy.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.