We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Received SJP - would appreciate advice on next steps
Comments
-
Whoops! You are of course right and I was mistaken to think that the offer of a course might still be on the table.
My error
0 -
Sorry - looks like I inadvertantly misled you.
if you have a SJPN it's too late for a course to be offered
0 -
I presume you have no means of justifying a heavier fine in place of a ban,…
There is no such option open to the court. The sentence for the fourth offence will be announced and the defendant told he faces a “totting up” ban unless he can show “exceptional hardship” will be visited on him or others.
He then puts his EH argument and if it is accepted he leaves the court with his licence intact and twelve points (or above) on it. The penalty that was originally announced remains unchanged.
You can’t “buy” your way out of a ban.
0 -
Not quite. The court can impose a reduced ban rather than drop it altogether.
0 -
Not quite. The court can impose a reduced ban rather than drop it altogether.
Yes they can. But not in exchange for a larger fine, which is the point I was making.
That said, having witnessed somewhere in the region of perhaps 200 plus "exceptional hardship" arguments made in court, I have never (so far as I can recall) seen a court impose less than the statutory minimum of six months disqualification.
1
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards