We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Received SJP - would appreciate advice on next steps
Hi,
Received SJP today with 8 offences:
1. 4/12/2025 failed to identify driver
2. 1/11/25 35mph in 30mph zone
3. 5/12/2025 failed to identify driver
4. 1/11/2025 36mph in 30mph zone
5. 20/1/2026 failed to identify driver
6. 18/12/2025 27mph in 20mph zone
7. 20/1/2026 failed to identify driver
8. 18/12/2025 25mph in 20mph zone
I now have until 24/4/2026 to respond.
I was the driver at the time of all of the above offences which took place as 4 offences in 2 days
I have no prior points or offences.
I did not receive any of the NIP's as these were sent to my previous address. I know because I have just confirmed with the DVLA that they still have my old address on record incorrectly.
I updated my tax and driving licence address but failed to update the V5 log book, this is my error.
My questions are:
1. What is my best course of action in terms of addressing the charges. I would assume plead guilty to all and provide mitigation that it was my fault I had not updated the V5 address and assumed it would be updated via taxing?
2. How could the SJP be sent to my correct and current address if all the NIP's were sent to my old and incorrect address? I have lived at my current address for 2 years and my vehicle is taxed at this address. Assuming the V5 address was never updated correctly.
Thanks
Comments
-
If your V5C has the incorrect address, that explains why the 4 NIPS went to the wrong address. If the authorities are getting no response, they often use other methods (e.g. who is the vehicle insured to) to track the person.
Not updating your V5C is a separate offence, albeit rarely prosecuted.
0 -
Were the speeding offences 4 separate occasions or were (for example) the two over 30, on the same stretch of road in a short space of time?
Also they can’t do you for both failing to furnish AND the speeding because they have no evidence of who the driver is. The normal thing to do here is to plead not guilty to both and plea bargain to say you’ll admit to the speeding if the ftf is dropped.
0 -
1. What is my best course of action in terms of addressing the charges. I would assume plead guilty to all and provide mitigation that it was my fault I had not updated the V5 address and assumed it would be updated via taxing?
Certainly not! If you do you get 36 points!
They cannot prosecute the speeding as they can't prove who the driver is without you admitting it. If you deny it, that is the end of the matter (unless they actually have clear photos of the driver, which is extremely rare)
They can however successfully prosecute failure to name the driver, as they have evidence that they asked you (well, complied with legislation when making the request) and that you didn't in fact supply a name within the allowed time.
The recommended action for one such offence is to offer to plead guilty to speeding if they drop the failing to identify the driver, which usually works and leaves you with 3 points and a fine (plus
Crime TaxVictim surcharge & costs)However, you have 4 sets, which takes you straight to 12 points and a totting-up ban of 6 months.
If you plead guilty to all 4 of the failing to identify, and not guilty to the speedings you get 24 points and a larger fine (plus tax & costs), which is still a 6 month totting ban.
I don't know what to do for the best, the people to ask are at FTLA dot uk From the dates, you might be able to argue successfully that the 2 speeding offences each time are part of one continuous offence, that needs more details though.
2. How could the SJP be sent to my correct and current address if all the NIP's were sent to my old and incorrect address? I have lived at my current address for 2 years and my vehicle is taxed at this address. Assuming the V5 address was never updated correctly.
The vehicle can't be taxed at that address, or the V5 would have your correct address on it. (You probably have a direct debit set up from your bank, not your house)
If you are getting tax reminders through the post (that you use for the number to tax it online each year) your V5 must be correct.
I'd have a look at your V5 and check.
They have probably found you from your insurance details, driving licence etc. They don't have to do this for NIP/s172 requests, only post them to the address they have- the one on your V5.
If you look at the dates, you were sent NIP/S172 notices to name the driver following each speeding offence, but didn't reply within the 28 days so they added a "failing to identify" charge to each about a month later.
I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....
(except air quality and Medical Science
)0 -
- Just my personal view but it's damage limitation time, and even if you limit that damage it's still going to be pretty harsh.
This is going to court, so before the hearing ask the prosecution if they will they drop all the failure to identify's if you plead guilty to the speeding offences. You can explain it's an oversight on your part etc, etc.
Apparently this dropping the failure to identify is something they are known to do. If they drop one for most, I can't see why they wouldn't drop all in this case if you plead guilty to the speeding offences.
They are after you for speeding but they can't get that without you admitting it as you failed to identify, so they will go after those in court. The court will take a very dim view of failing to identify and will certainly punish you more than the speeding offences.
Unfortunately there's little defence to the speeding if they can prove it's you/you admit it. I think you know the outcome already, but you sort of know what that will be.
2. As already explained, they just don't leave these offences sitting on a desk somewhere because they initially weren't able to find you, so they use other means on file.
They have your name off the V5C even though you are no longer at that address, it's not hard for them to eventually track you with things like the electoral register etc.
0 -
Your best bet is to post on FTLA here: Speeding and other criminal offences
Pay particular attention to the sticky thread READ THIS FIRST - BEFORE POSTING YOUR CASE
Have you done a speed awareness course in the last three years? They will need to know the answer to this.
They will probably advise you to plead NOT GUILTY to all charges with the proviso that you tell the prosecution that you will be willing to change your plea to GUILTY for the four speeding charges if they drop the four fail to identify charges.
Then - if you haven't done a speed awareness course in the last three years - you should be offered a course with no points for one of the speeding offences, leaving yourself with 9 points not 12.
But go over to FTLA and ask them how to proceed.
How they found your current address is irrelevant if they sent the original NIPs to the address on your V5C. You should have updated it
0 -
It's already posted on FTLA.
1 -
No I have never completed a speed awareness course. From reviewing all information, I think this is my best course of action to avoid a 12 point ban. I can only hope that is the way around it.
0 -
Once it has proceeded to the SJP stage, the chance of getting a speed awareness is zero.
1 -
No I have never completed a speed awareness course. From reviewing all information, I think this is my best course of action to avoid a 12 point ban. I can only hope that is the way around it.
It is not a way around it. Only the police can offer courses, and it has long passed the point where they might have done that.
The court has no power to order a course.
The advice you received on FTLA is sound.
0 -
What do you mean by "updated your tax address"? Surely not car tax, VED, because reminders are sent to the registered keeper's address as on the V5C.
As you've now found out, V5C and driving licence addresses are different and both need to be updated separately. There are many instances where people may wish to change one but leave the other unchanged.
Given a course is out of time and scope now, your best possible outcome here is twelve points, a ban on totting up.
I presume you have no means of justifying a heavier fine in place of a ban, because your ban would leave others (who have no option but to rely on your being able to drive) at exceptional hardship…?0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards
