We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Prescribed information and Renters Right Act

2»

Comments

  • mills112
    mills112 Posts: 497
    100 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite

    my friend has protected his deposit with mydeposits and he hasn't heard anything from them. i would expect the process to be automatic for fixed tenancy that ends after 01.05.2026 and you don't need to select to turn it into periodic as it has to become periodic as mandatory, there is no choice to it and you can't end it as it hasn't ended.

  • haveabreak
    haveabreak Posts: 91
    Fifth Anniversary 10 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite

    I've got an email from the DPS telling me the protection will end if I don't take action (under the Insured Scheme). The tenancy end date is a couple of days after 1st May. I don't know if it is worth waiting till 1st of May to know if it is automatic - I will probably set it to periodic now and let them sort it out on 1st May.

    image.png
  • mills112
    mills112 Posts: 497
    100 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite

    that sounds like the old automated emails that I used to get from mydeposits when I was renting out properties when a tenancy is near the end, where I had to select to turn it into periodic or it will stop. if I remember correctly, I had to make the choice within 10 days of the contract ending. i don't think that is from the new system, which probably won't be kicked in until 01 May. I am assuming that may be when you will get the notifications from the deposit schemes about the new periodic process but I would expect that it will turn periodic for all existing tenancies on 01 May, including ones that end shortly after that.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.