We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
What would you do with your £20k
I have £20k to invest on Monday when the new ISA tax year begins.
I’m unsure whether to put it in my existing Shawbrook 5.22% 5yr cash ISA (this will be year 4) with a guaranteed return in 2028 when it matures, or open a stocks & shares ISA taking advantage of the current market whilst it’s down.
I don’t have any real knowledge of S&S so would probably just put it in an S&P500 or something similar.
I’m not investing for the long term, so any advice given please, based on the best return (in your opinion) over 2-3 years….
So, what do you think I’d be best doing….. 5.22% guaranteed, or buy into a S&S ISA now while prices are down?
Thank you in advance!
Comments
-
S&S ISA should really be for an absolute minimum of 5 years, preferably 10. The stock market could easily fall another 30%. The shocks from this Trump war have only just started.Your 5.22% is a very good rate. If you're looking at a further 2 years I'd go for that.
2 -
If you're only looking 2-3 years ahead, I'd stick it in the existing cash ISA
Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the endQuidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur2 -
I’m not investing for the long term - that automatically rules out S&S ISA
2 -
Thank you. I think I just needed someone to validate what I’d pretty much decided to do anyway. 👍👍
2 -
Thank you 👍
0 -
Thank you for your reply.
I took the 5.22% with Shawbrook a few years ago and have maxed out each year since.
Now that the £120k FSCS protection is in place, it continues to be a very attractive option.Next year I’ll be limited to putting £12k in, but i’ll still hold over £100k at 5.22 till September 2028.
2
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards
