We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Modern hedging

24

Comments

  • twopenny
    twopenny Posts: 9,360
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite

    I found modern hedge quite easily. But they seem to be sharp shapes carved with hedge trimmers. Think Elizabethan and Victorian.

    They will house a small amount of birds, more 'passing through ' and the maintenance isn't huge but has to be very accurate for effect.

    Yew and the box replacement works but take a long time to grow.

    You mention Photinia. You can't really trim that because of the big leaves so will encroch on the garden and pavement. You will have to improve the soil and not be exposed to cold wind.

    https://www.gardenersworld.com/how-to/grow-plants/grow-photinia/

    It's got nothing for birds. Open habit inside is too risky for them and it supplies no food.

    But it's listed for hedging here https://www.rhs.org.uk/plants/photinia/growing-guide

    You need the right plants for a hedge.

    Nice idea but I do wonder if by the time you've grown a modern hedge in 7yrs, it may have gone out of fashion. 😉 So only do it because you know you'll like it

    I can rise and shine - just not at the same time!

    viral kindness .....kindness is contageous pass it on

    The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well


  • Baldytyke88
    Baldytyke88 Posts: 1,168
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite

    My hedge plants are red currants, yellow privets, forsythia, Choisya Sundance in 9cm Pots - Mexican Orange, ESCALLONIA APPLE BLOSSOM PINK.

    No idea what the end result will be, with some evergreen and some flowering.

  • twopenny
    twopenny Posts: 9,360
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite

    Interesting. There is a hedge near me where the sound of birdsong is deafening. It's beech, ivy and all sorts.

    Looking at properties one had a hedge with similar ingredients and the noise was so loud I wondered what dawn chorous would be like at 6 in the morning.

    My favourite had a close clipped hedge from before they were deemed modern but not a peep from it.

    I think you will need to choose.

    I can rise and shine - just not at the same time!

    viral kindness .....kindness is contageous pass it on

    The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well


  • barker77
    barker77 Posts: 389
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite

    Oo interesting - I like idea of native for wildlife but love ideas of evergreen so it keeps green over winter. Are you planting in a specific way or just randomly?

  • Dustyevsky
    Dustyevsky Posts: 3,472
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Homepage Hero Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 5 April at 8:55AM

    Fine where I am, and I have all of them, but a bit overwhelming on a modern housing development's average garden! Context is important.

    Never believe anything until it's officially denied.

  • wort
    wort Posts: 2,207
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite

    I have choisya not the Sundance as I find that doesn’t do as well for my garden. But it’s quite dense and easily clipped gets flowers that smell lovely, and attracts bees.

    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 24,114
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Cashback Cashier
    Forumite

    II was looking at my Choisya as I read the latest posts. I planted one a few years ago to block a view of a neighbour's door. It quickly grew to 1m then stopped, which didn't do the job I wanted but might do yours. I never prune, lightly feed & water occasionally. I can see it working in an informal hedge but to make a long hedge out of it is going to be expensive

    https://www.hedgesdirect.co.uk/mexican-orange-blossom-hedging-choisya-ternata?utm_term=choisya%20ternata&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Species&campaign_id=650329199&ad_group_id=1289728483878891&ad_id=&keyword_id=kwd-80608343938122:loc-188&msclkid=9edce21bdbcc1b5829748bc9f2286af1

  • Baldytyke88
    Baldytyke88 Posts: 1,168
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 5 April at 1:27PM

    I just have a small section that needs a hedge, no idea what the end result will be. I have had them a few weeks, in small pots, I may plant them out next week. I wanted some evergreen to keep it looking solid, they will likely grow at different rates, I will need to think about when I cut the hedge, as I don't want to cut the flower buds off.

  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 12,009
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite

    Ours is a beast and can grow a good 18 inches each year, but it's probably 30-40 years old. Was here when we moved in.

    Make £2026 in 2026
    Prolific £231.51, Octopoints £4.60, Tesco Clubcard challenges £38.80, Airtime £10 TCB £225.19, Everup £77.04, Roadkill £1.77,  Zopa CB £30, Misc £10.11,
    Total £629.02  31%

    Make £2025 in 2025  Total £2241.23/£2025 110.7%
    Prolific £1062.50, Octopoints £6.64, TCB £492.05, Tesco Clubcard challenges £89.90, Misc Sales £321, Airtime £70, Shopmium £53.06, Everup £106.08, Zopa CB £30, Misc survey £10

    Make £2024 in 2024 Total £1410 70%
    Make £2023 in 2023 Total: £2606.33 128.8%


  • wort
    wort Posts: 2,207
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite

    like slinky my front one became wide , which I don’t mind. I can see it over my window ledge must be 3 foot? I keep the top and sides trimmed and I do that whenever it needs it ,so quite hardy gets flowers a few times a year possibly cause I cut it randomly. I don’t water as been in now for years .

    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.