We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Basic Solar Question - Consumer Unit

2»

Comments

  • QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 24,957
    10,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 30 March at 11:40AM

    I’m not convinced by the PW3. 13kWh for £7k, when you can get a 32kWh Fogstar for less than half the price.

    Just to note that £3300 to Fogstar will get you a 32kWh battery:

    https://www.fogstar.co.uk/collections/solar-battery-storage/products/fogstar-energy-48v-32kwh-battery-heating-fire-supression

    ... but most people don't want to rewire their house and replace all their appliances to run on 48V DC. You'll also need a suitable inverter and fitting.

    The best fitted price I can find for a 32kWh Fogstar system and inverter is about £6k.

    https://www.itstechnologies.uk/collections/sunsynk-installed-packages/products/installed-solis-5kw-ac-coupled-ai-optimised-fogstar-energy-eco-16-1kwh?variant=57873708908925

    You might be able to find a better quote (I didn't spend long searching and I ignored anyone who wanted me to submit details or phone them) but it's not "half the price".

    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Intelligent Go elec / Fuse gas / Vodafone BB / iD mobile. Kirk Hill Co-op member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 37 MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs, Ecoflow Stream, Best kettle :-)
  • NedS
    NedS Posts: 5,901
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Ambassador

    Indeed, and that's with a cheap 5kW inverter whereas the PW3 includes a built in 11kW inverter, so less than half the rated output. Many will find a 5kW limiting whereas 11kW provides much more headroom to run multiple appliances at once (e.g, from our own personal experience, 2.7kW electric cooker, 3kW kettle, 1.5kW microwave, 1kW ASHP can all be on at the same time when we are cooking Sunday dinner). Try telling the wife to stop drying her hair whilst you boil the kettle to make a cup of tea!

    Doesn't provide full home backup in a power cut. I won't even ask the LRA rating, required to kickstart a heat pump from battery.

    I also wouldn't want to install that inverter and battery outdoors on an exposed wall where we often see driving rain and trust it to still be in good shape to 10 years. Maybe you have a sheltered location or a garage, but mine is outdoors and exposed to the elements.

    In summary, you can buy a bigger capacity battery cheaper, but that's about it. If all you care about is capacity, then the Fogstar ticks that particular box.

    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Benefits & tax credits, Heat pumps and Green & Ethical MoneySaving forums. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.
  • SimonSeys
    SimonSeys Posts: 132
    100 Posts Third Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite

    I seem to have touched a nerve with the Tesla fans!

    Fogstar have been around for a while (a pal has a motor home electricity system designed around them plus Victron) and the plummeting battery prices mean that house batteries are now much cheaper than even a few years ago. It’s a shame Tesla haven’t dropped their prices.

    There are a lot of Straw People arguments in those posts. I don’t think anyone has suggested rewiring the house to 48V. And quoting for a 2x16kWh system when the 32kWh battery I linked to is significantly cheaper is disingenuous.

    I agree I need an inverter. My 9kW inverter was around £1k. For an extra couple of hundred I could have had a larger inverter if that met my needs. I thought about it but the house will never use that amount of power so I decided against it (more the size of the cable to the garage). I also paid someone to install it too.

    I’m not convinced by the laptop analogy I’m afraid. This is infrastructure rather than a consumer good. A battery system is very much install it and then forget about it for me.

    All in my 32kWh system was only two thirds of the price of the purchase price of a 13kWh Tesla system. My system has islanding. I have two ovens and an induction hub and it runs those fine. I can charge my EV any time of day for 9p/kWh. Currently on Octopush IOG for import and IO Flux for export. Estimated payback is around 4.5 years.

    I’m very happy! And money saving!

  • QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 24,957
    10,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 31 March at 10:41PM

    I seem to have touched a nerve with the Tesla fans!

    I'n not a Tesla fan (although I'll accept there are times when the PW3 might be the best option). My battery is a Fogstar, my inverter a Sofar. But your post was erroneous, which you now seem to accept:

    All in my 32kWh system was only two thirds of the price of the purchase price of a 13kWh Tesla system.

    Two thirds is not less than half.

    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Intelligent Go elec / Fuse gas / Vodafone BB / iD mobile. Kirk Hill Co-op member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 37 MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs, Ecoflow Stream, Best kettle :-)
  • SimonSeys
    SimonSeys Posts: 132
    100 Posts Third Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite

    Oh let it go…


    A 32kWh Fogstar is less than half the price of a PW3…

  • Qyburn
    Qyburn Posts: 4,390
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite

    According to Octopus you can't be on IOF for export only, it has to be both. The action of applying for IOF switches both export and import in one go. How did you swing it? I'm currently on IOF but if I could combine IOF export with Go import that could be a dream both Summer and Winter.

    With that combination do you find Octopus only force charges your battery during off peak slots, or is some at day rates?

  • NedS
    NedS Posts: 5,901
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Ambassador

    As you say, IOG and IOF cannot be used simultaneously as they are two distinct tariffs.

    Perhaps they mean combining IOG for mainly import in winter with IOF for mainly export in summer?

    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Benefits & tax credits, Heat pumps and Green & Ethical MoneySaving forums. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.
  • JKenH
    JKenH Posts: 5,539
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite

    Hi, it wasn’t clear if your figures included installation.

    The £7k price for a PW3 is installed and includes the back up Gateway which enables you to run solar panels when the grid is down. I appreciate that isn’t something that happens often and as a result you may feel it to be a waste of money but, like insurance, is something you buy in case it does. Perhaps not of relevance in your situation the PW3 also includes a 3 string solar inverter. If, like me, you wanted to add extra solar panels at the same time as a battery it is a consideration.

    I’m not knocking Fogstar but I felt that a PW3 better suited my needs. If I was more hands on, like @QrizB, then I can see the attraction of a Fogstar which offers more storage capacity for less money.

    Northern Lincolnshire. 7.8 kWp system, (4.2 kWwest facing panels , 3.6 kWeast facing), Solis inverters installed 2018, 5kW SSE facing system (shaded in afternoon) added in 2025 with Tesla PW3 battery, Mitsubishi SRK35ZS-S and SRK20ZS-S Wall Mounted A2A Heat Pumps, ex Nissan Leaf owner.
  • NedS
    NedS Posts: 5,901
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Ambassador

    Exactly, they are very different offerings targeted at different market segments. It is not a simple like for like comparison.

    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Benefits & tax credits, Heat pumps and Green & Ethical MoneySaving forums. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.
  • pete-20-11
    pete-20-11 Posts: 1,830
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite

    There is a small group of people trialling IOG import and IOF export with specific types of home batteries.

    Hopefully not a secret! It's being discussed in the Octopus agile forums.

    PPI success. Banding success. Double Dip PCN cancelled! South facing solar (Midlands) and battery. Savings Session supporter (is it worth it now!?)
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.