We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

DVLA woes

caveat_emptor
caveat_emptor Posts: 773 Forumite
Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

I'm on 3 year renewal and licence runs out on 31 March. I returned the renewal application forms early January and have not heard anything from DVLA. I'm not surprised as my last renewal took 5 months and I was 2 months without a licence. But I read, on DVLA website, that I could drive while the renewal was in process providing I was fit to drive and had not been told that I should not. Contacted my insurer who said that my insurance was invalid without having a licence, which is perfectly understandable. So why does DVLA even mention that driving without a licence is possible. I know the answer but couldn't possibly comment.

Named after my cat, picture coming shortly
«1

Comments

  • Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 23,469 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    Last time I updated mine (2 years ago) I had my new one back in about a week. Have you chased them up?

  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 19,698 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    Mine took about a week, last year.

    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 9,199 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    The DVLA website reflects Section 88 of the Road Traffic Act 1988, which says that someone in your position may continue to drive if "a qualifying application by the driver for the grant of a licence to drive vehicles of that class for a period which includes that time has been received by the Secretary of State".

    You need to ascertain whether your application has indeed been received. A phone call to DVLA is needed.

    When this happened to me, I got an acknowledgement letter very quickly, which explicitly confirmed that I could continue to drive under s88. I didn't see the need to tell my insurer.

    The fact that you've heard nothing suggests to me that your application has gone astray.

  • Woodstok2000
    Woodstok2000 Posts: 2,133 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper

    Insurance is invalid without a license, but.....thats not the situation you are in. You have a license, it's just being renewed. It falls under Section 88, and is explained here:

    https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/64edcf3a13ae1500116e2f5d/inf1886-can-i-drive-while-my-application-is-with-dvla.pdf

  • Bigwheels1111
    Bigwheels1111 Posts: 3,382 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper

    Just talking to my Mum about this today over lunch, for 3 of her friends. ( Older people )

    They have been waiting between 4/6 months so far.

    You can still drive until they send a letter telling you to stop driving.

    You can call and check where they are at, By calling them.

    One had no got the letter they sent asking for more details.

    Plus if you have a copy of your licence go online and see if its been updated.

    I added D category to my licence last year, sent of pass certificate in July, Licence arrived in September.

    Updated on gov.uk site 4th August, but took 4 weeks for licence to arrive.

    https://www.gov.uk/view-driving-licence

  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 9,199 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    "You can still drive until they send a letter telling you to stop driving".

    Not quite. As I explained above, your application must have been received by the DVLA. Unless they have acknowledged it, you can't know that.

  • Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 8,613 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    Send your application form by first class post, and get a receipt from a Post Office. It is assumed to have arrived one clear working day later, unless the DVLA can prove it didn't. See the Section 7 of the Interpretation Act 1978 https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1978/30/section/7

    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
  • TooManyPoints
    TooManyPoints Posts: 1,811 Forumite
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    Contacted my insurer who said that my insurance was invalid without having a licence, which is perfectly understandable…

    The usual wording is this (or similar):

    “…provided that the driver holds a licence to drive the vehicle or has held and is not disqualified from holding or obtaining such a licence”.

    So that should cover you as far as insurance goes.

    In any case, Section 88 of RTA will provide an continuing entitlement to drive whilst your application is in progress provided:

    1. Your application has been received by the DVLA and
    2. You have not declared on your application any new “relevant disability” and that any you have declared previously have not deteriorated to such a degree that your ability to drive needs to be reassessed.
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 10,686 Forumite
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper

    I think I am right in saying that online renewals are quite speedy whilst those done by post are definitely not.

  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 9,199 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    The Interpretation Act only applies "Where an Act authorises or requires any document to be served by post ". Are you sure that a licence application meets that test?

    And if it does, it's two working days, not one.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.