We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Car hire - Different driver to person making the booking

Is it possible to book a car in my name, but have someone else as the driver and not me?

My license has expired (I have epilepsy which is under control, (no seizures for years, so it is just routine checks) but the medical department hasn't completed all their checks yet. I did apply by post well before the expiry date.

I am allowed to drive under section 88, but probably won't be allowed to hire the car because of an expired licence. I want to add my son as a named driver when collecting the car. Unfortunately he can't book the car in his name as he doesn't have a credit card. I have chased the DVLA, but we fly next week and I am thinking of worst case scenario if the DVLA hasn't processed the renewal by then.

Comments

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.