We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Pay-as-you-go options (not bundles)

Joy_12345
Joy_12345 Posts: 32
Third Anniversary 10 Posts Name Dropper
Forumite

Hello, can anyone tell me which providers offer a 'traditional' pay-as-you-go option that:

-isn't a bundle nor a monthly deal, and

-doesn't require regular top-ups?

This is because it's for a phone which will very rarely be used (probably max 5 texts / short calls per year).

It's fine if I need to keep the SIM active by, say, sending a text every few months - that's not a problem.

Also, if you happen to know if there are compatibility requirements for the handset (e.g. relating to 3G/4G etc), that would also be helpful to know.

I have started looking at the MSE article about pay-as-you-go, but you need to look at each provider's website to get this info in most cases, and most seem to hide away their traditional PAYG, so it's taking a long time to find this info!

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help!

p.s. MSE says that Three fits the bill, but the device now needs to be 4G or 5G ready, and I don't think my old phone is!

Comments

  • flaneurs_lobster
    flaneurs_lobster Posts: 12,552
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite

    Assume you don't want/need a smartphone?

    A new, 4G enabled "feature" phone can be had from Argos for £13.50, no need to struggle with backwards compatibility on your old phone.

    Which network(s) have decent coverage where you will use the phone?

  • ScratchyCat
    ScratchyCat Posts: 117
    100 Posts Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite

    I have a 3 sim still on payg but call rates are expensive now, originally when i started with 3 the call rate was 3p,2p,1p now 35p a minute for a call. When ive used the money up, that's on there I will be porting away from there.

    I have also got a couple of sims with rwg. They do have good rates and have just got wifi/volte last week. Last year they went through a bad spell so I purchased an o2 classic payg sim off ebay for 20p. I was sent 2 sims but only activated the one. Call rates are 3p,2p,1p. Top up £10 with a supermarket voucher, credit will last for ages.

    O2 Classic payg sims are only available off eBay and possibly amazon. Not available from o2 direct, but if you get from ebay they honour the classic sim rate.

  • chrisw
    chrisw Posts: 4,057
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite

    I've recently had a similar problem, I ended up buying a second hand Motorola G9 off eBay for £20 and then joined giffgaff. You have to top up with £10 but then a call or text every 180 days keeps the sim active.


    Others such as Asda mobile looked ok but hidden in the very small print was that an actual top up was needed every 180 days to keep the sim active rather than just a chargeable event.

  • ScratchyCat
    ScratchyCat Posts: 117
    100 Posts Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite

    Yes some of the o2 small print for classic sim now say top up every 180 days too. I havent needed too and I'm sure I've have the o2 sim active for more that 180 days.

  • Joy_12345
    Joy_12345 Posts: 32
    Third Anniversary 10 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite

    Thank you so much everyone!

  • Joy_12345
    Joy_12345 Posts: 32
    Third Anniversary 10 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite

    Thank you - that's useful to know about the Argos phone. I'm hoping to get something that works in my old phone - that's because this is actually for someone I help, and it might be difficult for them to adapt to another device.

    Apparently EE has good coverage in this area; the others are 'ok'. So I'm going to give RWG a go (and they don't require 4G compatibility) - fingers crossed!

  • Joy_12345
    Joy_12345 Posts: 32
    Third Anniversary 10 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
  • gamston
    gamston Posts: 694
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts
    Forumite

    hi how did you get on ?

    I'm looking for payg sim card, for a rarely used phone, just need it as backup

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.