We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

How to approach future purchase

2

Comments

  • gadget88
    gadget88 Posts: 693
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite

    I did look at new builds but me and my wife don’t drive so it’s made options very limited as we want to stay near family

  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 10,850
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite

    Perhaps take driving lessons? Unless you want to live in the centre of London, being able to drive will expand your options.

  • mlz1413
    mlz1413 Posts: 3,214
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite

    So you want to move, but ask AI for answers to questions you put in the way of buying another house.

    You are also asking, again, a forum of people who can inky give general advice. But you need specific help for your issues.

    You have two failed purchases behind you to be able to work with a therapist and work out why you sabotage your move.

    You may find the answer is to stop wanting a bigger house and just be happy.

    You may find that the answer is to move and replace the carpets.

    But it is going to be your journey. Good luck with it

  • gadget88
    gadget88 Posts: 693
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite

    Thanks you are correct. I may new to stay or it’s new carpets. The therapist I had said it wasn’t even ocd so sort of lost faith in therapy but perhaps looking up another one might work. I feel the ocd got in the way of the choice . But yes I do need to work on issue to stop it happening in future

  • goldfinches
    goldfinches Posts: 2,738
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite

    Try looking at this site to help you choose a therapist with experience at helping people through traumatic moves

    Bobbe - Our story

    Once you've done the initial filtering then click on individual therapists names to see more about their expertise, training, specialities etc.

    Best of luck.


    May No-Spend Days 3
    May Grocery Challenge Spend £31.18/£186
    May Baking Fund Spend £7.45/£24
    May Bulk Buy Fund Spend £18.00/£100

    Decluttering 100 items by the end of the month 0/100

    Try being A Bit More Nellie
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 38,278
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 23 March at 9:27AM

    Do you have a formal OCD diagnosis from your GP/ other health professional or is this self diagnosed?

    Anyone can set up and call themselves a psychologist with very little in the way of qualifications so how are you tracking down in your therapists?

    if you think you have a genuine health issue then off with your doctor. There are other issues which could be impacting on your thinking, but I’m not going to name them because you might just pick another label which is equally incorrect.

    see a qualified professional to start with.

    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

    Pedant alert - it's could have not could of.
  • gadget88
    gadget88 Posts: 693
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite

    I notice the agent has had alot of stuff go “back to market. Obviously it’s unlikely but I told them I’m still interested as you never know. Given I regretted the choice of an opportunity came again I think I’d go and try again.

  • Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 16,628
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 25 March at 10:44AM

    Do you have a partner? If so, can you get them to handle all of it and only involve you with the paperwork?

    If not, then you can always approach the agency again, explain the problem and what you're doing to counter it. Offer to give the agent some deposit and make a new, slightly higher offer to the buyer with some financial guarantee that you won't pull out again.

  • gadget88
    gadget88 Posts: 693
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite

    Thanks I feel a bit stupid asking but the board has been up six weeks usually it’s down within a month. I said same offer or higher as it sold for less than my offer. Like I say I feel I made a poor choice so no harm in asking but I feel a bit embrrased having pulled out.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.