We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
How to approach future purchase
So I had a seller pull out with a week to go in 2025 and six weeks ago I pulled out due to due about pets in the house. Looking for some advice the agent knows I have the funds as I sent proof of this over but how might I explain the ocd to them. Or if it’s the same agent how will they deal with me again? I have had targets about pulling out and did speak to a therapist but I still have the urge to move so what’s the best way to approach? It’s one particular area which means I may be waiting six months to a year or maybe have to wait out longer
Comments
-
Can you please clarify are you selling and buying?
What is the issue regarding pets?
EA not interested in your OCD have you got a friend or relative who could support you during process?
0 -
Yes I would be selling. Both times the agent was happy to take on listing my house. I had some ocd about having dogs incase smells or urine was present. Sadly never got enough family support to stop me pulling out. Some of the houses on street have less rooms or mid terrace so I can’t even guarantee I’d get the same chance again. I do want to prepare just incase one did come up I would hopefully feel more ready to go for it
0 -
You asked the same question back in February. Not sure there is much else to add - you have had several previous threads around your house buying and selling woes, and without wanting to be harsh you have not covered yourself in glory so far.
How many agents are there in your local area? And how many of them have you had dealings with so far?Do you even have your house on the market yet or is this a purely rhetorical question again?
All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.
Pedant alert - it's could have not could of.0 -
Yeah I thought it was a familiar story.
Like @gwynlas mentioned, they don't care about any medical episodes you might have, they want to sell. If they can't trust you to keep going, they won't see the benefit wasting money on you and upsetting their sellers. Agents don't work for free. They need to get paid by selling. Engaging them and withdrawing is a waste of money.
Start asking yourself, why would they want to deal with someone who's foot in and foot out? You having the funds is not a proof of commitment. We've had a seller in the chain who broke the chain 3 times, and the third time he was asked to empty the property or he'll be kicked out of the chain. No one has time for that.
I'm FTB, not an expert, all my comments are from personal experience and not a professional advice.Mortgage debt start date 11/2024 = 175k (5.19%)... Q1/2026 = PAID (3.94%)0 -
Previous threads for clarity. Personally and without wanting to add further to your house buying issues, I suspect you may be put on a back burner by agents possibly even being considered a ‘tyre kicker’. They don’t get paid if sales don’t go ahead, they’re bound to want to give more attention to those they consider are serious about buying and selling.
I’m not sure what the rules are and I haven’t sold for about 25 years but we were always told by agents when people viewed our house what position they were in, whether they had their own on the market or were Sunday viewers’, out for somehting to do rather than with any real intent. We were even to,d once not to go to any trouble re arranging our plans to accommodate a viewing as they had messed others around with offers etc and then weeks later pulling out and that our house was not dis similar to ones they’d pulled out of in the past as they decided they didn’t like the style or age of property.
I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.0 -
Yes I would be selling. Both times the agent was happy to take on listing my house. I had some ocd about having dogs incase smells or urine was present.
Confused as to why that is a issue, all you do is tell any buyers. No pets on viewing. & why you would pull out of a sale on that issue?
Life in the slow lane0 -
If your estate agent - and buyers for your house - know that you are only willing to move on if/when you find a perfect house that has never had dogs in it, then I suspect that neither will take you seriously.
We are back to new builds only, as even a newish house may have had the odd doggy visitor.
0 -
looking At previous threads the OP can’t buy a house that’s ever had a dog in it, which is causing issues. I think a new build that has been suggested would be the only way forward.
I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.1 -
OP, are you selling/buying by yourself? You mentioned a wife in previous threads, if you're buying with her then what's her opinion on all of this?
0 -
So let me explain I grew up in a council house until age 26 with dogs. So it makes little sense but I have severe ocd I googled AI about dog smells and urine and I made an impulsive choice pull out. I knew that it would mean buying selling would be difficult but I couldn’t access the support and never had therapy until after the sale had fallen through. I understand now it was a bad choice. Staying put just means I feel I need a larger house regardless. Anyway I have apologised to the agent and said I am keen to move.
Sure going forward I can say look it won’t matter if it had dogs. I can’t change the past. I also accept any move may take years or another agent given what happened. I was due to buy one the year before but they pulled out but on my part I never asked about pets. I fully expect to be told I can’t view next house ect but nothing I can do but try?0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards



