We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Flexible cash Isa's rules

Hi,

I have 2 x Zopa flexible cash Isa's for the years 2023/24 & 2024/25....... I have a zero balance in each, have I now lost the opportunity to put £20,000 back in each one for ever?

I also have a 212 flexible cash Isa for 2025/26 with a zero balance I believe I can put the £20,000 back in before April 6th 2026?

Comments

  • surreysaver
    surreysaver Posts: 5,479 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    Depends when you took the money out (assuming you put any money in in the first place).

    If you withdrew the money during this tax year, you can put it back in this tax year without it affecting this year's allowance

    I consider myself to be a male feminist. Is that allowed?
  • QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 24,759 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    I have 2 x Zopa flexible cash Isa's for the years 2023/24 & 2024/25....... I have a zero balance in each, have I now lost the opportunity to put £20,000 back in each one for ever?

    When did you take the £20k out of them?

    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Intelligent Go elec / Fuse gas / Vodafone BB / iD mobile. Kirk Hill Co-op member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 37 MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs, Best kettle!
  • tightbloke61
    tightbloke61 Posts: 26 Forumite
    Fourth Anniversary 10 Posts Name Dropper

    I took out £20,000 out of both for the tax year's 23/24 & 24/25 ......both were left empty

  • surreysaver
    surreysaver Posts: 5,479 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    edited 21 March at 11:44AM

    If they were empty at close of business on 5th April 2025, then no, you cannot put the money back in if you've already contributed £20k to an ISA this tax year (unless it's in a flexible ISA and you remove that money from that ISA)

    I consider myself to be a male feminist. Is that allowed?
  • masonic
    masonic Posts: 30,712 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    On that basis, it is only the T212 ISA you can refill, but as this is a current tax year ISA, you can use your £20k ISA allowance anywhere you like - it doesn't have to go into this ISA specifically.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.