We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Broadband one touch switch stuck order issue

Hi.

I’m hoping someone here has experienced this and can advise.

I’m currently with Sky Broadband and received a price-rise notification, so I’m within the 30-day penalty-free exit window. I tried to switch to Vodafone via the MSE comparison tool (which routed me through Broadband Genie).

During sign-up with Vodafone, when I entered Sky as my current provider, the system returned an error saying “a switch request has already been made” and that my service is already being switched — which I have not initiated.

I’ve since:

  • Spoken to Sky and Vodafone — neither can see any active switch requests
  • Contacted Ofcom, who put me in touch with TOTSCo (One Touch Switch administrators)
  • TOTSCo told me there appears to be a stuck/ghost OTS order that needs cancelling, and that my current providermust resolve it

However, Sky are refusing to contact TOTSCo, claiming they can’t share my details even with my consent, leaving me stuck and unable to switch via OTS. I’m now a week into my 30-day exit window and worried about losing the right to leave without fees.

Sky have suggested cancelling outright rather than using OTS, but that risks losing my phone number and having a broadband gap, which I’d like to avoid.

Has anyone else had a stuck One Touch Switch order like this?

  • How did you get it cleared?
  • Did your provider eventually escalate it properly?
  • Any wording or escalation route that worked?

Any help or shared experiences would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

  • QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 24,961
    10,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite

    I've not heard of this before, and don't recall a similar thread. Sorry

    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Intelligent Go elec / Fuse gas / Vodafone BB / iD mobile. Kirk Hill Co-op member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 37 MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs, Ecoflow Stream, Best kettle :-)
  • Purplefleur
    Purplefleur Posts: 9
    Sixth Anniversary First Post
    Forumite

    Hi,

    Did you manage to resolve this?

    I am facing the same problem, but with Now broadband which is a subsidiary of Sky

  • Abourmike
    Abourmike Posts: 2
    Fifth Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Newbie

    Hi,

    I did eventually get this sorted, but it took several weeks and far too many phone calls with Sky.

    In the end, the issue was exactly what OFCOM and TOTSCo had outlined; Sky simply needed to contact TOTSCo and request that the stuck order be removed from my account. It turned out to be a very straightforward fix. Unfortunately, most of the Sky customer service reps I spoke to didn’t seem aware of this process or how to resolve it.

    What finally worked was repeatedly asking them to escalate the case to someone UK-based who understood how to contact TOTSCo and handle the cancellation properly.

    Unbelievably, the exact same thing happened the following month with my mum’s broadband. Armed with what I’d learned, I contacted Sky on her behalf (with full permission), but ended up going through several weeks of the same frustrating back-and-forth. They refused to escalate it and kept insisting the issue wasn’t theirs.

    In the end, I submitted a formal written complaint via email, clearly explaining:

    1. What was the issue

    2. What needed to be done to fix it

    I also made it clear that I would escalate to the relevant resolution scheme if it is not resolved within the required timescales.

    Almost five weeks later, they finally fixed my mum’s stuck order.

    Honestly, Sky’s customer service has been the worst I have ever dealt with.

    My advice:

    1. Make a formal complaint as early as possible

    2. Get a case number

    3. Don’t let them close the case until it’s fully resolved (they tried this multiple times with me)

    At least that way, you’ll be in a position to escalate more quickly if they don’t sort it.

    Good luck 🤞

  • QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 24,961
    10,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite

    Thank you for letting us know it was all sorted out eventually!

    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Intelligent Go elec / Fuse gas / Vodafone BB / iD mobile. Kirk Hill Co-op member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 37 MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs, Ecoflow Stream, Best kettle :-)
  • Purplefleur
    Purplefleur Posts: 9
    Sixth Anniversary First Post
    Forumite

    Hi,

    Thank you so much for your detailed response. I had the same issue last year and after weeks of frustration, ended up staying with Now Broadband.
    This time I really want to resolve this, but as usual am being sent from pillar to post, with everyone i speak to saying that it’s not their problem and everything is ok at their end. I have even tried to go to Plusnet, with no landline, hoping that would solve the problem, but they are getting the same ‘switch has been made’ response.
    I might try what you have suggested, but the thought of having to keep fighting and wait for weeks is just so daunting.

    Thanks again, helps to know I’m not the only one! 🙏

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.