We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Something broken? Let us know on the new Report a Technical Issue board. Please use Site Feedback and Forum Help for other feedback.

Permission problem. You don't have permission to do that.

I replied yesterday in a thread titled "How are source of funds checks handled in property purchases" and have received notification that someone has posted a reply in that thread.

When clicking on the notification I get the message in the title of this thread.

I have searched the forum for the thread in case it had been moved and cannot locate it.

I have looked in my recent posts and cannot locate my reply of yesterday.

Does this mean the whole thread has been deleted or is the something else occurring here.

«1

Comments

  • MSE_James
    MSE_James Posts: 1,838
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Cashback Cashier Newshound!
    Community Admin

    If a thread is no longer viewable, then yes, you will see the 'permission problem' message. Threads can be removed for a variety of reasons, most commonly where the content breaches our forum rules in some way, or because of a privacy concern or similar.

    Official MSE Forum Team member.
    Please report all problem posts to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • etienneg
    etienneg Posts: 648
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite

    I think the OP started several threads around the same time with similar (although not identical) titles, asking related (although not identical) questions. I don't know if they were in the same place or on different boards. They may have been amalgamated…

  • TadleyBaggie
    TadleyBaggie Posts: 7,271
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 19 March at 4:54PM

    There were several new users, that started very similar threads. It looked like either they were working together or were in fact the same person. The thread mention here was started by one of the new users.

    I reported my suspicions to MSE and after a few days the users were all removed, along with their threads. Hence the permission error.

  • 1spiral
    1spiral Posts: 438
    Third Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite

    I don't think it could've been amalgamated because there is no record of my reply. Presumably if this had occurred, my reply would still exist in my thread history.

  • 1spiral
    1spiral Posts: 438
    Third Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite

    I would still find it strange that the whole thread had been removed though as up until the point that I had replied, nothing had been said that would've been deemed a reason to remove the thread. Presumably however, the OP may have removed the thread themselves rather than MSE.

  • TadleyBaggie
    TadleyBaggie Posts: 7,271
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 19 March at 6:18PM

    No, all the new users have been removed by MSE, which means all threads they started have too. It was clear that these users were creating threads to make them look like normal MSE users, suspect they had some long term plan to spam the forums.

  • marcia_
    marcia_ Posts: 4,414
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite

    i get that all the time and its not for deleted threads because of i try clicking the notification again it goes to the post eventually. I have reported to MSE but they couldn't replicate it or know why its happening.

    IMG_2482.png

    2026 wins - Parker Pen American Sweets bundle 2x dish magic bundle NEU shots & a NEU training T-shirt ToeZone Shoes Worth £32

  • J63320
    J63320 Posts: 245
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite

    Happens to me too. I just ignore it. I get navigation glitches as well. Sometimes I think about reporting them but it takes so long to describe clearly exactly what’s happened (former IT person and know how annoying it is when the user can’t accurately describe the fault) that I don’t bother - they usually go away eventually.

  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 38,281
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite

    i’ve reported the same problem on the site feedback page, to no avail.

    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

    Pedant alert - it's could have not could of.
  • 1spiral
    1spiral Posts: 438
    Third Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite

    Interesting, as far as I could tell the post appeared to be a genuine question regarding how conveyancers carry out source of funds checks. I'm not aware of any of the other threads in question. Is the thought here that they would use the list of people that replied in order to target spamming? Not sure why that would be more beneficial than just generally browsing user names but you live and learn.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.