We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Help from Local Authority

Has anyone tried to get help from their local authorities?

We live in a rural area with no gas supply so have to rely on heating oil. I have looked at the Crisis and Resilience fund application on our county council website but it is definitely means tested.

I thought Ed Milliband said yesterday that it would not be?

Comments

  • GrumpyDil
    GrumpyDil Posts: 2,374 Forumite
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    My recollection is that it was to support lower income individuals/families so I fully expect it to be means tested and the new funding is being provided from April so not available yet.

  • Dustyevsky
    Dustyevsky Posts: 3,459 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Homepage Hero Photogenic

    I'm fairly sure it will be 'targeted.' This means those of us too poor to have switched to alternative energy and battery back-up, but too rich to qualify for the usual means tested benefits, will fall through the crack, as usual!

    I'd be delighted to be proved wrong!

    Never believe anything until it's officially denied.

  • lohr500
    lohr500 Posts: 1,629 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    Yep!!! 100% agree.
    Seems very unfair when any support on vehicle fuel costs and Ofgem gas/electricity caps aren't means tested.

  • Qyburn
    Qyburn Posts: 4,389 Forumite
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    I actually have a problem with the idea that the government is expected to dish out subsidies whenever a commodity gets more expensive. I don't know where people think the money would come from, if prices are rising then the government and local authorities have (even) less spare money to hand out.

  • lohr500
    lohr500 Posts: 1,629 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    In principle I largely agree with you.

    Where I disagree is that it seems unfair not to apply universal support on heating oil and lpg, when at the same universal support is being applied to mains gas and electricity.

  • Qyburn
    Qyburn Posts: 4,389 Forumite
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    Well yes I agree with that as well, if it's a general subsidy for electricity and mains gas then it would seem unfair not to offer something for user of other fuels. At the moment I don't think any subsidy is paid or proposed for mains gas or electricity. The much talked about price cap drop next month is due to removal of charges that were never applied to other fuels.

  • Frances63
    Frances63 Posts: 270 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    edited 25 March at 8:13PM

    Means Test for all or means test for none.

    What's wrong is to single out only oil heated homes for means testing. Especially as for us the increase is even greater. It's more than doubled so far.

    I live in a housing association flat and I'm on a small private pension as my only income. I rely on my dwindling savings. I'm on my own so there's only me to pay for everything.

    I therefore don't qualify for any payouts that are means tested despite earning under the basic rate tax payer threshold.

    I can't afford to top up my oil.

    I'm sleeping with my dog now to keep warm, & he blows off, a lot, so it's no fun.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.