We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Is anyone force-charging their solar batteries using Octopus overnight rates?

2»

Comments

  • NedS
    NedS Posts: 5,906
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Ambassador

    Better pricing for what - import or export?

    IOF is a net metering tariff, where import and export prices are the same. It is traditionally seen as a summertime tariff for those who are large net exporters as the tariff was around 23p/kWh day rate and 30p/kWh peak for both import and export (double SEG rates at the time). So if you generate more than you consume, you are being very well compensated for that excess generation. As you are not importing anything (net), the import price is not really relevant so just think of it in terms of the most generous export rate available.

    Agile (combined with outgoing octopus) is more of an import tariff where you are hoping for periods of very low or negative pricing to charge batteries and load shift usage. I guess you are hoping to be able to import at a lower average price than you are paid for export - charge cheaply to cover usage and export excess to the grid.

    Which approach is best for you will depend on your own individual circumstances, so either model it in a spreadsheet or use one of the available tools.

    For me, IOF is worth around £400 more than any other tariff during the six months April to September as we can generate up to 4 times our daily usage (we averaged 26p/kWh last summer for our export on IOF). In winter we switch to Cosy as we have a heat pump and our usage is high, so we can import in winter at ~14-15p. What works for you may not be the same as what works for us.

    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Benefits & tax credits, Heat pumps and Green & Ethical MoneySaving forums. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.
  • ed110220
    ed110220 Posts: 1,655
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite

    We have 4.8 kWp of panels but are slight net importers of electricity. I started out with 6 kWh of batteries but sold them and replaced them with a 16 kWh Seplos battery in Sep last year. I've just added another similar battery. I am on Octopus Go. I know they advertise it as an EV tariff but I don't have an EV. They did not ask if I had one when I asked to sign up, they just switched me over.

    So I force charge each night in the 00:30 - 05:30 window at 8.5p/kWh which makes things easy as it's "no regrets" because if the next day is sunny I get 12p/kWh for exports. It would be more lucrative to switch over to a different tariff, say Flux, in the sunnier part of the year and back to Go in the darker part, but I'm not sure if the hassle would be worth it or if they might not let me back onto Go.

    Solar install June 2022, Bath
    4.8 kW array, Growatt SPH5000 inverter, 1x Seplos V3 battery 15.2 kWh, 1x Seplos V4 battery 16.1 kWh.
    SSW roof. ~22° pitch, BISF house. 12 x 400W Hyundai panels. Hyundai Kona 64 kWh EV.
  • itm2
    itm2 Posts: 1,563
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Hung up my suit!
    Forumite

    Hmmm…I just checked the Octopus site to get more info on IOF and this was the message:
    "Energy prices are particularly volatile right now, so this tariff is temporarily unavailable. We’ll update this page as soon it’s available again"

    😱

  • Qyburn
    Qyburn Posts: 4,390
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 16 March at 7:08PM

    if you're referring to IOF then it gives a much better export tariff in exchange for handing control to Octopus.

  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 19,825
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite

    I charge my solar batteries on Agile. While the system does have the ability to manage Agile pricing automatically, I find it picks blocks rather than individual 30 min segments, so have been doing this manually for over a year. I also set the hot water diverter and electric towel rails/heating if the price is really good to reduce oil usage. I have occasionally forgotten to reset and ended up spending more than I’d like, but overall it works well. (And I’ve just remembered to delete the hot water boost programme from last night!).

  • itm2
    itm2 Posts: 1,563
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Hung up my suit!
    Forumite

    Ignoring export tariffs for the moment (we would probably consume any solar that we could generate), are Agile prices typically better than IOF?

    Also, does anyone have any feedback/recommendations on hardware? I was initially looking at GivEnergy and Enphase, but there are downsides to both: I've heard terrible feedback regarding GivEnergy support, which appears to be virtually non-existent at the moment. Enphase, as well as being significantly higher cost, depends on management/control via the internet (there is no local control option). I'd much orefer a solution which had an option for local control.

  • NedS
    NedS Posts: 5,906
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Ambassador
    edited 13 March at 1:05PM

    IOF is an 'export' friendly tariff, really. It is at it's best when you are a large net exporter, so if you are not generating net excess (i.e, you can consume everything you generate and/or are a net importer), then you want to focus on the tariff that will give you the cheapest import rates. That would probably be Octopus Go or Agile, and grid charge the battery whenever the import price is cheaper than the SEG rate.

    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Benefits & tax credits, Heat pumps and Green & Ethical MoneySaving forums. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.
  • EcoScruples
    EcoScruples Posts: 434
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite

    I have stuck by Octopus flux and charge overnight during November to April (when the clocks change) then go max self consumption during spring/summer. Works for me.

    4.3kwp JA panels, Huawei 3.68kw Hybrid inverter, Huawei 10kw Lunar 2000 battery, Myenergi eddi, South facing array with a 15 degree roof pitch, winter shade.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.