We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Switch provider but still outstanding device plan

KevWinter
KevWinter Posts: 4
Eighth Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
Newbie

Hi

I'm currently with O2 but thinking of leaving due to the recent price hikes.

I think I'm out of contract but it doesn't say when I log on. I still owe on the device plan. If I switch to another contract with someone else will i get a final bill for the device or keep paying instalments?

I text info and got the below.

We hope you don't decide to switch today, but if you do switch, you'll have £125.80 left to pay as of 12/03/2026. This is the remaining balance for your Device Plan for this device and any remaining balance for a Device Plan for an Apple Watch, if you have one on this account. Your final bill will still include any airtime you've used and any out-of-bundle charges like Charge to Mobile services.

After you leave, you'll lose services on your account including any free-of-charge ones. If you've got accessible formats active on your account, this service won't be available either

Comments

  • Tree_pipe99
    Tree_pipe99 Posts: 62
    10 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite

    It will still be installments but you can pay the whole amount if you want to.

  • KevWinter
    KevWinter Posts: 4
    Eighth Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Newbie

    Thanks, I was trying to work out if O2 would force me to pay in full or if I could go on paying installments while switching to a new provider.

  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,762
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite

    No, you’d have to pay your device plan off in full if you terminate your airplan.

    It’s in the terms.

    https://www.o2.co.uk/help/account/joining-and-leaving-o2/leaving-o2

    Your final bill will include any out-of-bundle charges you’ve incurred before termination and, if you terminate your airtime contract before paying off your device plan in full, your final bill will also include the lump sum you still owe under your relevant device plan credit agreement(s).

    ====
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.