We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

PIP renewal time scales

I am currently receiving PIP mobility component at the higher rate, I have a car through the mobility scheme
My PIP renewal is due in October, they sent me a renewal form last August requesting me to complete and return which I did. I have today received a letter stating that my current pip claim has been extended to April 2027 as my renewal may not have gone through in time for October 2026
I am now going to have to return my car in December as that is when it is due to be changed so I won’t have a car

Sorry for the long message but is this now common practice with PIP?

Comments

  • Cyclamen
    Cyclamen Posts: 755 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    I cant answer specifics but the system is a mess.

    My husbands PIP runs out very soon.. this month I think. We did the renewal when it was sent through and they have acknowledged receipt and send texts every few montsh saying they have it. But no decision yet.

    Its causing huge stress and upset.

    I would imagine Motability are very used to this situation, they might suggest you keep current car for a bit longer until new decision in then apply.. or have some other safety net.. worth a ring

  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 25,130 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Name Dropper
    Life in the slow lane
  • Cyclamen
    Cyclamen Posts: 755 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper


    So many things rely on PIP .. Blue badge and Bus pass renewals have come in as they are linked to PIP award that expires end of the month.
    Council Blue badge team have been understanding .. and new badge issued. I am just doing his disabled buspass form but they ask for PIP evidence.

    Looked up dates we returned Renewal a few days into September 25 so hopefully hear soon but not holding my breathe

  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 101,312 Ambassador
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Academoney Grad Mortgage-free Glee!

    As has been said I would speak to Motability and I think it’s likely that they will allow you to continue the lease on the current car until your new end date of April 27.

    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** in ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger.
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.[/b] [11 months left.[/b]
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.