We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Help understanding how ISA accounts transfer across financial years?
Sorry if this is a really silly question but I’ve read ISA rules on various sites and I’m still not clear on this.
I have a cash ISA account for the current tax year 25/26 and I’ve had notification it will mature soon so I should consider transferring it. I have about £12000 in it and want to put a bit more into it before the end of this tax year to use up the allowance for this year.
So the question is if I was to transfer the ISA account now to a new account, then I pay some money into the new account during March I assume that will count towards the current 25/26 allowance even though it’s my new ISA account that I’ll be using for the 26/27 tax year?
And once I’ve opened my new ISA account for 26/27 that will contain my £12000+ from this year and then anything I add during 26/27 on top all in one account and it will all receive the interest from the new account?
Comments
-
Yes, it is all about the amount you add in the financial year not when the account was opened.
Never associate with idiots on their own level, because, being an intelligent man, you'll try to deal with them on their level - and on their level they'll beat you every time.
Being hated by idiots is the price you pay for not being one of them.
Jean Cocteau 1889-1963
1 -
ISA providers monitor what you add as new money over the course of each tax year. These records transfer between providers, so your new provider will know what you've contributed so far this tax year and what you've left of your allowance. After the end of the tax year, the allowance is reset.
0 -
Okay thank you for that, I think that clears it up in my head.
I was thinking along the lines that an ISA account is tied to a certain tax year, not sure why I thought that, maybe how it was advertised to me.
However, from what you’re saying the accounts can run for as long as you like over multiple years just like a normal bank account, and the placing of money in particular tax years is monitored and managed by the account providers. Great stuff think that makes sense to me now, thank you.
0 -
HMRC views them in this way, but providers manage multiple tax year accounts as a single entity, and the ISA declaration normally allows them to continue bolting on new tax year accounts without you needing to fill out any new paperwork for as long as you keep adding money.
2 -
I have a cash ISA account for the current tax year 25/26 and I’ve had notification it will mature soon so I should consider transferring it. I have about £12000 in it and want to put a bit more into it before the end of this tax year to use up the allowance for this year.
So the question is if I was to transfer the ISA account now to a new account, then I pay some money into the new account during March I assume that will count towards the current 25/26 allowance even though it’s my new ISA account that I’ll be using for the 26/27 tax year?
'Maturity' usually only relates to fixed term ISAs, and it would be unusual to have one that was opened in 2025/26 and also matures in the same year, although terms of less than a year aren't completely unheard of.
Most, maybe all, fixed term ISAs will levy early withdrawal/transfer penalties if seeking access prior to maturity, so generally best to let them run to the end…
2 -
Yes it is a fixed term cash ISA which I opened on 17th March last year for the 25/26 tax year, as at that time I thought the account was tied to the tax year which I now realise it isn’t. So this one will mature on the 17th March this year so I need to transfer it as it will automatically move to a general cash ISA with a really poor rate.
I’ve been recommended another fixed rate cash ISA but looking at the conditions it states you only have 30 days from opening it to put your money in for the tax year? Which makes no sense to me as I’d want to put money in as and when I can throughout the year.
0 -
'17th March last year' is 24/5 tax year. Are you saying it wasn't funded until after 6th April? Is it Flexible?
0 -
I opened it on 17th March 2025 and have been paying into it monthly since then, right up until a payment this month. So it’s a fixed rate cash ISA account which is about to mature this month, so I need to transfer it or it will move to a low rate general cash ISA account.
What does ‘flexible’ mean, I don’t see that in the details of my account?
I’m assuming I need to transfer on or after the maturity date or I risk paying a penalty fee?
0 -
If you have been paying in monthly, then the majority of what you have paid in will have been paid in this tax year. You should be able to determine the exact amount by logging in to your account and seeing how much of this year's allowance has been used up. Then you can determine how much you can pay in without going over your year's allowance. This is presuming that you don't have any other ISAs that you have contributed to (in that case you need to tally contributions across all ISAs and so your provider's calculation of your allowance used up won't be accurate).
There is no penalty fee as such - if you transfer before your maturity date then the penalty is loss of interest for x number of days (depending on ISA T&C's). However, when organising a transfer, you can specify that you only want transfer to occur after the maturity date - this is what most people do so the transfer will only be transferred after the fixed term has ended.
If you have a fixed rate cash ISA then it won't be flexible but it's worth understanding what a flexible ISA is. In general to get most out of your ISA experience (and to avoid accidentally breaching T&C's), it's definitely worth taking the time to understand how ISAs work. Plenty of resources on this site.
#24 Save 12k in 20261 -
Can I ask who your ISA is with? Any fixed rate ISA I've seen has had a window of 14 days from opening in which to make deposits. After that, you cannot make deposits.
1
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards



