We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Tenant refusing to pay rent
Comments
-
Who is the property insured with - Direct Line, for example? Do they have a legal helpline? Will the policy cover any damage? (Tho' I suspect the chances are they won't deliberately trash the place - it would be a foolish and most likely counter-productive act, and most likely not even in their nature to do so.)
Also check out - and join - this site: https://www.property118.com/ Ask on there about how to handle this.
I know you say they are refusing to engage, but it's worth keeping on trying, and explain that you will be as flexible as you can to allow them to find an alternative place, will provide good references as they have been great tenants (up until now…), etc. But, you do 'need' to sell the property now, and ultimately the law is on your side, but you wish to do this in a conciliatory manner and not cause any greater upset.
Are there specific reasons why they wish to stay (beyond it being a home they are happy with)? Eg, is their child's school nearby? Work? Is the rent cheaper than average?
0 -
See how you go then.
Many Landlords I've seen using these services have got the S21 through first time when they didn't really have a clue. I've no idea what they bring to the table and haven't had to use one, so don't know what the offer is.
As we know Letting Agents aren't regulated, nor do they have to have any qualifications. Some of the questions I've seen from them on Landlords Forums are scary as hell.
I've just been reading of a lady who has been renting a house out for over 10 years. She bought it tenanted.
She has absolutely NO idea of the rules. She just takes the money from the tenant in rent every month but now wants to sell it.0 -
Sell with tenants in place. Entirely legal. I bought a 4bed BTL in 2006 with tenants in place, rented it out ever since. England.
Which country? Eg NI, Wales? The law and valid documents vary.
0 -
We are kind of on the other side of this as tenants (I am a landlord as well but that's for another conversation). Our landlord has told us he needs to sell the house and so we've got to move out. We've been given a Section 21 but we've been upfront with the landlord that we simply cannot move out in the time he's given us (there's nothing affordable at the moment and we don't have the money to pay another lot of rent and deposit upfront).
However, the last thing I would do is stop paying the rent out of spite. We're obviously going to need a reference from our current landlord when we do find somewhere so what sense is there in making things difficult?
1 -
How many potential buyers would be interested in purchasing a property with sitting tenants who aren’t paying rent?!
0 -
Can you please provide some names of Evicition Specialists?
0 -
Loads of the price is right. Innit
0 -
I can save myself £750 by not being clueless. Any landlord could save themselves £750 by not going in with their eyes wide shut.
It’s less expensive to join a landlord association to help keep yourself abreast of your legal obligations. Paying a so-called eviction specialist isn’t going to help you if there was no gas safety certificate at the start of the tenancy.
1 -
Actually, there is. Back end of last year that one was overturned (I appreciate it's difficult to keep up with these things)
https://www.talbotslaw.co.uk/site/gas-safety-certificates-and-section-21
Cassell vs Sidhu overturned the previous ruling that not having a GSC at the start of the tenancy means you can never ever kick a tenant out.
And as I said above, Section 8 doesn't necessarily need the full S21 checklist.
As for the £750 for not being clueless, as I see in many Landlord forums and groups, many Landlords are. Especially those who bought a place tenanted or became accidental landlords.
Right now, get an S21 wrong and you may not be able to bring it in before May. And that's a world of pain that'll cost much more than £750.0 -
I've not used one myself, but there are several people have used in the Facebook LL group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/14471117021097020
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards
