We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Motability permission query
Will Motability allow EV’s leased from them to be used as power sources in V2L and V2G applications ?
Specifically to allow someone to run their property off EV power ……
Our Electricity use is low (Jan see below)
Would it be possible to run the house electricity 100% from EV power ?
If we also charged from Solar/ off peak - Driving very little (less than 5000 miles per year)
If I was half as smart as I think I am - I'd be twice as smart as I REALLY am.
Comments
-
If the functionality is a standard part of the car, then how would they know and why would they care?
3 -
As M_M has said, if you lease a car with V2G / V2L functionality as part of the standard specification, it is unlikely that the lease supplier could know about or prevent the use of that feature.
If it is a concern to Motability, they don't have to offer the choice of cars including those with V2G / V2L functionality.
I suppose the question could be re-phrased with any other feature of the car considered:
"Will Motability allow EV’s leased from them to be used with the radio on while driving?"
2 -
V2L will never power a whole house. Battery can not supply enough power for house. Max is a load of around 3kW -15 to 16 Amp at any given time.
V2G is not powering your house.
Life in the slow lane0 -
It'd be a lot more convenient (and if you have solar: sensible) to just to buy a battery.
Not being able to plug the kettle in because the missus has popped to the shops seems a wee bit daft ;)
0 -
Why not ask Motability?
0 -
You are probably correct - I hadn't thought of that…
If I was half as smart as I think I am - I'd be twice as smart as I REALLY am.0 -
I didn't realise that
If I was half as smart as I think I am - I'd be twice as smart as I REALLY am.0 -
And vice versa.
If it sticks, force it.
If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.0 -
The battery will degrade faster the more cycles you run through it so wouldn't be a free lunch. (Being a lease it wouldn't affect you) .
0 -
That's the reason that I asked whether Motability should/could be aware of my plans - but my plans have now changed due to the restrictions of amperage possible via V2G/V2L
If I was half as smart as I think I am - I'd be twice as smart as I REALLY am.0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards
