We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Technical Service Bulletins

2»

Comments

  • Eltel_07
    Eltel_07 Posts: 6 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post

    When I searched I found that the USA, New Zealand, Australia and a cross section of the EU all had a different approach to the highlighted fault within my vehicle, yes in generalising i may have been a little over zealous, nevertheless if you had read my comments, I was addressing the fact that the Motor Ombudsman did not have full access and the DVLA cold not grant it, as a mere mortal i was not requested I needed access, but again why not the transparency?

  • Grey_Critic
    Grey_Critic Posts: 1,853 Forumite
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    Every country have their own rules - If you read the handbookfor a vehicle you will find many things that do not apply in the UK just aspeople in other countries will find the same sort of thing. One example thatsprings to mind was vehicles with the spare wheel held under the rear of the car. In the Nordic countries it was a rule that they should be fitted with a safety chain in case the method of retaining should fail.

    Manufacturers issue TSBs to their dealer network and also registered fleet operators. Whilst I have been retireda long time there was at one time a subscription service available toindependent garages if they wanted to subscribe, this also applied to theservice manuals and special tools.

    I write method statements risk assessments for companies - it is up to them if they make use of them. The same applies to TSBs and other work instructions. I wrote a set of documentation for a team a month ago and I havebeen asked to issue a new set. Why? Because they left them on a job and they cannot do the job without them.

    We all have to assume that the people employed to do a job do it properly.

  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 25,146 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Name Dropper

    I was addressing the fact that the Motor Ombudsman did not have full access and the DVLA cold not grant it, as a mere mortal i was not requested I needed access, but again why not the transparency?

    TSB are internal manufacture information. That is supplied to dealers via manufacture systems. Reason dealers miss these is staff member is not trained or can't be bothered to check the manufacture system for them.

    So DVLA etc will never get the info, & there is no need for them to have it either.

    Life in the slow lane
  • Eltel_07
    Eltel_07 Posts: 6 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post

    Fully agree, I'm no stranger to method statements but many moons ago, very useful aid memoirs indeed. Forgive my wittering's, but I'm not the trusting kind on what sales reps tell me, indeed at the beginning of my issues, i was working for a large independent dealership covering multiple brands, even i could not get a straight answer, whist I'm sceptical for the Ombudsman Service and its links, its all we have so giving them access to TSB's should complete the circle.

  • Eltel_07
    Eltel_07 Posts: 6 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post

    Well we will have to agree to disagree on this point, it was the DVLA who unearthed a TSB and sent it too me, in said TSB, the Manufacturer supplied a software upgrade to all affected vehicles to minimise the issue until a replacement part could be manufactured, I wanted proof they had actioned it upon receipt, the previous owner advised me that he had no recollection of the vehicle having any software upgrade and the service information confirmed this too, indeed he was unaware of the faulty component.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.