We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Technical Service Bulletins

Eltel_07
Eltel_07 Posts: 6 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post

When you buy a new or used vehicle its not unreasonable to ask about its history, Technical Service Bulletins are sent to dealers via the Motor Manufacturers, however they are not available to consumers to view, for example has the latest software fix been completed or if there has been a recall has this been done.

The DVLA works with the Motor Manufacturers on what is and is not a recall, they also deal with what is termed Non Action Codes, in this instance there's been a decision made that the issue is not serious so a full recall is not required.

In making this thread I must declare that I have had an instance where a Non Action Code was deemed appropriate between the DVLA and a Motor Manufacturer, globally the issue was a different story.

During my Motor Ombudsman case I asked if they cold see TSB's, it appears they could not, so I started a journey with my local MP, then the Junior Minister for Transport, then the the top echelon the Minister for Transport herself, I asked do you think it would be beneficial to the Motor Ombudsman Service to have full access to TSB's ?

Well I think you can see why I have raised this thread, no one wants to agree even in principle and without prejudice.

I think is should be a consumers right to know the history of a used vehicle, also the history of a new vehicle ( how many times has your new vehicle gone back for that update).

It does go without saying that some TSB's are of a technical nature and are more incumbent with Technicians, so there is some latitude.

So do you agree that there should be full transparency on Technical Service Bulletins?

thank you

NB There was a big thread on the powers of the Ombudsman Services back in 2017 via the MSE Forum.

«1

Comments

  • subjecttocontract
    subjecttocontract Posts: 3,821 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 16 February at 8:54PM

    I always make a point of insisting a receipt is supplied to me from the dealership following any work carried out as a result of a recall. When I sell the car on I pass this paperwork onto the new owner or the dealer handling any part exchange.

  • facade
    facade Posts: 8,193 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    I think TSBs should be freely available.

    The reason they are not is because if the public got hold of them they would start bothering their dealers and demanding work be done, which would eat into the profits.

    When I had a Corsa I bought one of those hookey manual CDs off eBay with all the TSBs (up to when the data was pirated) on.

    Virtually every one started with "In case of repeated customer complaint…" followed by how to fix all the issues that they could get out of recalling because they were not safety issues.

    As I recall I had a new gear change mechanism, but I should have kept going back complaining and they'd have fitted a gearbox that they'd actually machined the gears properly on….

    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

    (except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 25,135 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Name Dropper

    TSB, will only be seen by a dealer for that manufacture. Don't see a issue with that as they are not safety related. As such have to be reported via the DVLA to all owners.

    Life in the slow lane
  • Grey_Critic
    Grey_Critic Posts: 1,853 Forumite
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    TSBs often do not apply to all vehicles. Many modifications are carried out during manufacturing and when they are issued to dealers will indentify particular models or manufacturing dates.

    If you read the blurb that comes with your vehicle somewhere it will state that they have the right to modify or change the specification etc. etc.

    The real problem lies with the dealer - In my particular case as a Warranty Manager they were handed to me for action - there were times that there were warranty implications.

    I issued an internal memo to the workshop control and they added it to the workshop instructions.

    Many TSBs will have a labour element which has to be accounted for so a technician will not do something if he is not being paid for.

    Issuing TSBs to everybody is not practical and could create problems - items such as adjust torque settings for example - how do you know they have been done. I could see lots of people questioning if they had been done - the fact your vehicle in theory has been serviced to manufacturers specification relies very much on the technician doing the job right in the first place and we know that there are those who do not. There are always those who cut corners.

  • Eltel_07
    Eltel_07 Posts: 6 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post

    My question to ministers was to give the Motor Ombudsman Service access. TSB's are issued by ALL manufacturers to a lesser degree, i know this as i have worked in a PDI centre, taken many different brands to dealers and or independents for non action code deemed works.

  • Eltel_07
    Eltel_07 Posts: 6 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post

    What is or is not deemed as a safety issue is discussed behind closed doors between the DVLA and the Motor Manufacturer, in my particular instance it was a transmission damper fault, this faulty component was known 18 months prior to my purchase, globally there was a full safety recall, here in the UK it was deemed a Non Action Code fault, this does not come under a recall notice, the TSB (in my case) generated was for a software upgrade to minimise the impact of failure, but as the Ombudsman cannot see or access TSB's I don't know if the dealer did the software upgrade, the previous owner was not aware either. My whole point is to give the Ombudsman Service full access in order to adjudicate, however globally we are the only country that does not publish ALL TSB's.

  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 25,135 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Name Dropper

    Mine are always noted on service paperwork that any TSB has been completed. Then again I'm still using main dealer due to warranty. (Not worth the bother of going to a 3rd party, who can't do TSB anyway)

    Life in the slow lane
  • Mildly_Miffed
    Mildly_Miffed Posts: 2,626 Forumite
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    "however globally we are the only country that does not publish ALL TSB's."

    If that is the case (which I doubt - can you show me a link to, say, the Irish list?), then it really makes zero difference whether they're published in the UK or not, because they're all available anyway.

    The vast majority of TSBs are trivialities like "When reinstalling component X, use sealant Y on the threads" or "component A can be removed more quickly by slackening B and moving it to one side" or "If there's a leak from here, check this."

  • Grey_Critic
    Grey_Critic Posts: 1,853 Forumite
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    TSBs are the motoring version of the regular software updates you get with windows.In my role as a Warranty Manager I was one of four in the country that were asked to monitor various things and report back.

    One I recall was a rattle - we identified the cause as a heat tray on top of the exhaust fitted upside down on some vehicles and small stones could lodge on it. A TSB was issued. In another case a pulley bearing was squeaking - it was traced to a mounting arm flexing A TSB was issued to replace the mounting arm FOC if anyone complained - it did not happen on every vehicle.

  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 14,509 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper

    I had an issue with a vehicle which never tracked correctly, dealers denied a problem at a service.


    I raised it on an owners forum and one of the members sent me details of a TSB covering this exact issue. Took it to a different dealer who noticed my vehicle needed the work identified and following that all was well.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.