We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Fault on 2nd hand car - who pays diagnostics
Comments
-
Within the first 6 months, the assumption is that the Dealer is responsible. It would be for the Dealer to determine the root cause of the fault. That is under consumer rights. If the Dealer was processing this as a warranty matter, the warranty can have any terms they like. The warranty cannot deprive you of your consumer rights but you need to make it clear that you are claiming under consumer rights and not under warranty.
However, the expectations for the car have to be measured against the general age and condition of the car (which is why people asked about the age and mileage etc.).
The Dealer is also not responsible for failure to maintain fluids such as ad blue. If the Dealer carried out investigations and found it to be user-error, the Dealer can seek recovery of the costs from the customer.
1 -
Any warning light could also be related to wear and tear but to get to the root cause someone needs to pay for the diagnostics to show it's genuinely faulty. Not all lights mean 'faulty'
Bit of advice, don't use AI to advise you on your rights, it's often wrong when it comes to legal stuff.
2 -
There is no fault here
1 -
I think there is an issue with the ad blu warning system/sensor, which should be present on my model although it may falll under wear and tear.
0 -
This is exactly the reason you have to pay.
Do you expect them to cover the costs when the fault could/is down to user error/poor maintenance?
0 -
I would say this comes under "maintenance" not "fault".
I dare say, the dealer would be helpful if you approached them and asked if they would help you out. Storming in there quoting CRA2015 off of AI is likely to get a colder response.
2 -
no I don’t, but if the ecu was wiped by a previous owner removing the ad Blu warnings then I would expect them to pay. I couldn’t possibly have done that.
0 -
I’m investigating why there are zero ad Blu lights, warnings, messages.
Theres something wrong. I don’t think that is a lack of maintenance.
0 -
Do you have the handbook to check, it is possible that the warning light actually relates to low ad blue level.
Life in the slow lane0 -
emissions warning comes after ad-blu warnings but can be a result of lack of adblu.
So there should be a dashboard picture of a tipping can which should be yellow at 1500 mile range.
There should also be a written warning on the console and also a range in the driver details.
This is needed as there is no way to see visually how full it is.
I have none of those.
I don’t mean there is a range with zero or missing number, I mean that “ad blu” range isn’t on the list at all.When all the dashboard lights come on prior to starting I don’t see this one at all.
Mine is the 2.0 TDI Se Lux model so should have it.
I may have to give the seat dealer a call as the retailer who sold it is not a seat specialist.
so far the only explanation is that it’s been deleted from the ecu, I don’t have the equipment to do that.Still investigating.
0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards