We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Turning Straw into Gold: Creating Long Term Security & A Solid Home

1…5657596162…73

Comments

  • MillQueen
    MillQueen Posts: 532
    500 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite

    I'm giving myself a night off and I am going to cook something nutritious and go to bed early.

    Updated last day of the month… reducing debt and improving wealth…

    Mortgage: starting at -£222,469 (Jan 26) now at -£219,670 (Oct 26)

    Postgrad Loan: starting at -£8,974 (Jan 26) now at -£7,100 (Oct 26)

    Personal Loan: starting at -£11,466 (Jan 26) now at -£9,200 (Oct 26)

    Emergency Fund: starting at £5,511 (Jan 26) now at £2,600 (Oct 26)

    Jan 27 Tax Fund: £2,750 / £3,298 (Oct)

    Net Debt: starting at -£203,926 (Sep 26) now at -£202,930 (Oct 26)

  • Hi @MillQueen 👋

    I've read your diary over the past couple of days and just wanted to say that you're doing brilliantly! 👏 Your house sounds amazing!

    Well done for getting on the training - it's a shame it took so long for them to get it organised for you but I'm sure it's worth the wait! 😉😁

    'Happiness is not a destination but the journey you walk every day'

    GC - October: £39.94/£350

    Debt neutral fund - 3/45

    'It's the small compromises you keep making over time that start to add up and get you to a place you don't want to be'

  • MillQueen
    MillQueen Posts: 532
    500 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite

    Thank you so much, that's lovely of you to say and thanks for reading through my ramblings ❤️

    Updated last day of the month… reducing debt and improving wealth…

    Mortgage: starting at -£222,469 (Jan 26) now at -£219,670 (Oct 26)

    Postgrad Loan: starting at -£8,974 (Jan 26) now at -£7,100 (Oct 26)

    Personal Loan: starting at -£11,466 (Jan 26) now at -£9,200 (Oct 26)

    Emergency Fund: starting at £5,511 (Jan 26) now at £2,600 (Oct 26)

    Jan 27 Tax Fund: £2,750 / £3,298 (Oct)

    Net Debt: starting at -£203,926 (Sep 26) now at -£202,930 (Oct 26)

  • Dakota_Rose
    Dakota_Rose Posts: 856
    500 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite

    Well done on the work productivity - it sounds like you’ve been on fire with it 🔥. I’ll need to check out the binaural beats when I’m back at work. My mind has a tendency to wander when I’m supposed to be focusing on something I’d rather avoid 😂.

    Interestingly, I decided to try something new when reading yesterday by playing themed instrumental music to suit the genre of book I was reading through my headphones. It was mostly to block out the background noises but my goodness, I read way more than I usually would and was far more engaged.

    Please make sure you do treat yourself to something lovely after working all weekend.

    PBs £3050 (including £1k EF & £1k Christmas fund)
    21/26 books for 2026

    Take the time to find the joy in each day

  • MillQueen
    MillQueen Posts: 532
    500 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite

    @Dakota_Rose, it's worth a try if you have an avoidable task. I've spent weeks and months doing anything but this task. It's the ones that require multiple complex thought processes for me that take a long time - I'm much more motivated to do things where you do it once and it's ticked off and done and onto a new task. Reading background themed music is a great idea! I love that, I will give themed ones a go. I usually use the "reading ambience" ones on youtube and my favourite is a cosy one with the sound of a fire and rain outside, but since I've been reading a lot of mystery type books an atmospheric sound track would enhance this.

    Updated last day of the month… reducing debt and improving wealth…

    Mortgage: starting at -£222,469 (Jan 26) now at -£219,670 (Oct 26)

    Postgrad Loan: starting at -£8,974 (Jan 26) now at -£7,100 (Oct 26)

    Personal Loan: starting at -£11,466 (Jan 26) now at -£9,200 (Oct 26)

    Emergency Fund: starting at £5,511 (Jan 26) now at £2,600 (Oct 26)

    Jan 27 Tax Fund: £2,750 / £3,298 (Oct)

    Net Debt: starting at -£203,926 (Sep 26) now at -£202,930 (Oct 26)

  • ArtyJ931
    ArtyJ931 Posts: 419
    100 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite

    I have to write really complex reports at work and often have 4-5 built up due to avoiding them will spend a couple of days hyper focusing with binaural beats on and as you say stagger out the other side needing food and water but it works for me 😂

    DFW info LBM: March 26

    Total 03/26 69,481

    My DMP Diary - year 1

    "You put one foot in front of the other and one day you look back and see that you have climbed a mountain" Ready for the climb.💪

  • MillQueen
    MillQueen Posts: 532
    500 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite

    @ArtyJ931, I am the same, I disappear into a focus period for hours or days.

    One section down, two more to go.

    Updated last day of the month… reducing debt and improving wealth…

    Mortgage: starting at -£222,469 (Jan 26) now at -£219,670 (Oct 26)

    Postgrad Loan: starting at -£8,974 (Jan 26) now at -£7,100 (Oct 26)

    Personal Loan: starting at -£11,466 (Jan 26) now at -£9,200 (Oct 26)

    Emergency Fund: starting at £5,511 (Jan 26) now at £2,600 (Oct 26)

    Jan 27 Tax Fund: £2,750 / £3,298 (Oct)

    Net Debt: starting at -£203,926 (Sep 26) now at -£202,930 (Oct 26)

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.