We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

LISA penalty and Buying a House

Lookingforadvice8
Lookingforadvice8 Posts: 1 Newbie
edited 22 January at 10:59AM in ISAs & tax-free savings
I have been saving in my cash LISA for a long time to buy a house. Recently, I decided to buy a house with my partner, but the properties we are considering exceed the 450,000 threshold. Consequently, I anticipate being penalised if I use my LISA as the deposit.

I am aware that the government is considering reforming LISA, but it won’t occur before our house sale. I’ve been contemplating whether it’s worth keeping this money in my LISA in the hope of withdrawing it later without a penalty. I wonder if anyone else has any thoughts on this? 

Comments

  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 42,017 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    There's precious little information about what the LISA replacement will look like, so not much to go on in terms of whether or not there'll be the opportunity to withdraw from the old product without penalty (or to transfer into the new one and do the same from there).

    Seems to me that it'll come down to whether or not you actually need the money for the purchase - if so then you pretty much have to withdraw regardless of penalty, but if you don't need it then there's little value in withdrawing if that can be deferred until the situation is clearer.
  • saajan_12
    saajan_12 Posts: 5,909 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    I have been saving in my cash LISA for a long time to buy a house. Recently, I decided to buy a house with my partner, but the properties we are considering exceed the 450,000 threshold. Consequently, I anticipate being penalised if I use my LISA as the deposit.

    I am aware that the government is considering reforming LISA, but it won’t occur before our house sale. I’ve been contemplating whether it’s worth keeping this money in my LISA in the hope of withdrawing it later without a penalty. I wonder if anyone else has any thoughts on this? 
    The main question is can you afford the purchase deposit without any of the money in the LISA? Even if you have enough of a deposit saved outside, if you added the LISA money post penalty then would that lower your LTV and save you more in interest vs the penalty? 

    Under the current rules, you can use it towards retirement (after age 60). We don't really know what a reformed version would look like and what the terms for transfers will be. After your purchase, even a reformed LISA may not be useful eg if the limits were changed but it still related to main home purchases. 
  • Kim_13
    Kim_13 Posts: 4,536 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    … and if you need some of the money but not all of it, then only withdraw the amount you cannot proceed with the purchase without so as to minimise the penalty. The penalty will be calculated on the sum that you take out, not the whole pot. So if you needed £10,000 to put toward the purchase, you would have to ask for £13,333.34 (13,333.34 * 0.75 = 10,000.005.)
  • george4064
    george4064 Posts: 2,962 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Just to add, if you do end up leaving some or all of the cash within your LISA, it's very much worthwhile converting it to a Stocks & Shares LISA and investing it.

    Since you won't be able to touch that money until you're 60, you will have sufficient time horizon for the higher risk than keeping it in cash.
    "If you aren’t willing to own a stock for ten years, don’t even think about owning it for ten minutes” Warren Buffett

    Save £12k in 2025 - #024 £1,450 / £15,000 (9%)
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.