We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Help with flooring under weights bench

2»

Comments

  • Eldi_Dos
    Eldi_Dos Posts: 2,780 Forumite
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Niv said:
    Eldi_Dos said:
    Niv said:
    Eldi_Dos said:
    Look up City Electrical Factors (CEF), rubber safety matting, designed for use in electrical situations.
    Not cheap but very long lasting, I had a piece to line the floor of the back of my vans, it lasted four vans and still had plenty of life in it when I passed it on.

    Also try Screwfix part number 109KN which is on offer at the moment, although I have no personal usage of that product.
    Thanks.  My query with this is, it may be great to protect against scuffs and normal activity , like walking, but would it be much use against a heavy weight dropping on it? It 'feels' like it would be too thin for that?
    The matting that I see on the CEF site is 12mm thick which would be around the same thickness as the stuff used to floor the rear of the vans I had.

    While it was in the van it had generators, waterpumps, road signs, pinch bars and sundry tools in and out of the van on a daily basis plus when on site the back of the van was used as a portable workstation, so it is pretty robust stuff and as I say still had plenty of life in it when I passed it on.
    I only see 3mm and 6mm thickness on the CEF site. If you have a link I would appreciate it. 
    Apologies, you are right it is 6mm on the CEF site, I was getting mixed up with the 12mm matts available in the Screwfix site.
    Play with the expectation of winning not the fear of failure.    S.Clarke
  • Section62
    Section62 Posts: 11,762 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Name Dropper
    Niv said:

    The floor of the room is solid concrete with a good quality vinyl flooring which I would like to protect. I don't want to go OTT but equally I don't want to buy something that really isn't up to the job and end up damaging the floor. The area for matting is 2m x 2m
    ...
    As well as possible physical damage from dropped weights etc, I'd also be a little wary about the compatabilty of some protection products with the vinyl material - you don't want to use something for protection which then chemically reacts or leaves black marks.

    I'd possibly use a sheet of 3-ply or cardboard as an underlay if there is any suspicion about the compatibility of the matting.  Including a 3-ply layer would probably also be better as a load/impact spreader.
  • Eldi_Dos
    Eldi_Dos Posts: 2,780 Forumite
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    edited 16 January at 9:29AM
    Good call to protect vinyl floor from whatever matting you choose. I was thinking along the lines of 5mm Wood Fibre Underlay Panels, easy to trim to exact size required.
    Play with the expectation of winning not the fear of failure.    S.Clarke
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.