We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Help with flooring under weights bench

Hi,

I am looking to put a weights bench at one end of one of my rooms and have hit a quandary regarding the protective flooring to use.

The floor of the room is solid concrete with a good quality vinyl flooring which I would like to protect. I don't want to go OTT but equally I don't want to buy something that really isn't up to the job and end up damaging the floor. The area for matting is 2m x 2m

I have seen this at B & Q:
https://www.diy.com/departments/rubber-crumb-gym-floor-tiles-10mm-thick-heavy-duty-non-slip-commercial-grade-gym-mats-1m-x-1m/5059138023714_BQ.prd?srsltid=AfmBOopxPMBms7hXoEqoEAb6XVqRoySIEuKmdeIbIOssDGXW166COgCCNfU

As you can see from the link this matting is available in a range of thicknesses, But I have also seen stuff on ebay that looks more like foam (again in a wide range of thicknesses) but feels like that may be too cheap and cheerful? Also seen rubber matting that is akin to what you might use in a garage but maybe that is a bit thin and is mainly good for dropped tools etc?

Anyway - thoughts / experiences welcome!

YNWA

Target: Mortgage free by 58.
«1

Comments

  • sammyjammy
    sammyjammy Posts: 8,275 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 14 January at 11:59AM
    "You've been reading SOS when it's just your clock reading 5:05 "
  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 32,628 Forumite
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Niv said:
    Hi,

    I am looking to put a weights bench at one end of one of my rooms and have hit a quandary regarding the protective flooring to use.

    The floor of the room is solid concrete with a good quality vinyl flooring which I would like to protect. I don't want to go OTT but equally I don't want to buy something that really isn't up to the job and end up damaging the floor. The area for matting is 2m x 2m

    I have seen this at B & Q:
    https://www.diy.com/departments/rubber-crumb-gym-floor-tiles-10mm-thick-heavy-duty-non-slip-commercial-grade-gym-mats-1m-x-1m/5059138023714_BQ.prd?srsltid=AfmBOopxPMBms7hXoEqoEAb6XVqRoySIEuKmdeIbIOssDGXW166COgCCNfU

    As you can see from the link this matting is available in a range of thicknesses, But I have also seen stuff on ebay that looks more like foam (again in a wide range of thicknesses) but feels like that may be too cheap and cheerful? Also seen rubber matting that is akin to what you might use in a garage but maybe that is a bit thin and is mainly good for dropped tools etc?

    Anyway - thoughts / experiences welcome!

    That stuff is made from ground up car tyres, that is then rebonded together under heat and pressure and an adhesive. It is solid but has some 'bounce' .

  • Eldi_Dos
    Eldi_Dos Posts: 2,780 Forumite
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    edited 14 January at 3:38PM
    Look up City Electrical Factors (CEF), rubber safety matting, designed for use in electrical situations.
    Not cheap but very long lasting, I had a piece to line the floor of the back of my vans, it lasted four vans and still had plenty of life in it when I passed it on.

    Also try Screwfix part number 109KN which is on offer at the moment, although I have no personal usage of that product.
    Play with the expectation of winning not the fear of failure.    S.Clarke
  • plumb1_2
    plumb1_2 Posts: 4,665 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Eldi_Dos said:
    Look up City Electrical Factors (CEF), rubber safety matting, designed for use in electrical situations.
    Not cheap but very long lasting, I had a piece to line the floor of the back of my vans, it lasted four vans and still had plenty of life in it when I passed it on.

    Also try Screwfix part number 109KN which is on offer at the moment, although I have no personal usage of that product.
    As above, I’ve got in my van for over 12 yrs, swooped from van to van . It’s great stuff 
    A thankyou is payment enough .
  • Niv
    Niv Posts: 2,620 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Eldi_Dos said:
    Look up City Electrical Factors (CEF), rubber safety matting, designed for use in electrical situations.
    Not cheap but very long lasting, I had a piece to line the floor of the back of my vans, it lasted four vans and still had plenty of life in it when I passed it on.

    Also try Screwfix part number 109KN which is on offer at the moment, although I have no personal usage of that product.
    Thanks.  My query with this is, it may be great to protect against scuffs and normal activity , like walking, but would it be much use against a heavy weight dropping on it? It 'feels' like it would be too thin for that?
    YNWA

    Target: Mortgage free by 58.
  • Eldi_Dos
    Eldi_Dos Posts: 2,780 Forumite
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Niv said:
    Eldi_Dos said:
    Look up City Electrical Factors (CEF), rubber safety matting, designed for use in electrical situations.
    Not cheap but very long lasting, I had a piece to line the floor of the back of my vans, it lasted four vans and still had plenty of life in it when I passed it on.

    Also try Screwfix part number 109KN which is on offer at the moment, although I have no personal usage of that product.
    Thanks.  My query with this is, it may be great to protect against scuffs and normal activity , like walking, but would it be much use against a heavy weight dropping on it? It 'feels' like it would be too thin for that?
    The matting that I see on the CEF site is 12mm thick which would be around the same thickness as the stuff used to floor the rear of the vans I had.

    While it was in the van it had generators, waterpumps, road signs, pinch bars and sundry tools in and out of the van on a daily basis plus when on site the back of the van was used as a portable workstation, so it is pretty robust stuff and as I say still had plenty of life in it when I passed it on.
    Play with the expectation of winning not the fear of failure.    S.Clarke
  • casper_gutman
    casper_gutman Posts: 1,012 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 16 January at 10:11AM
    A gym equipment website recommends greater thicknesses of rubber matting for use in areas where heavier free weights could be dropped, as follows: 
    • 10mm - stationary equipment or free weights up to 100kg.
    • 15mm - functional fitness activities and free weights up to 110kg.
    • 20mm - free weights up to 140kg. 
    • 30mm - free weights up to 200kg; Crossfit.
    • 43mm - free weights up to 250kg; powerlifting and Olympic weight training.
    The thicker mats are heavy (a 1 square metre mat weighs 30kg) and aren't cheap (currently £54.99 for the thickest mats, or £24.99 for 20mm mats, and that's with offers).

    I've seen recommendations to use mats meant for stables as a cheaper option, but prices don't seem any better tbh - e.g., £37.19 for a 20mm mat. In fact, the prices on that last site are the same to the penny whether you choose gym mats or the same thickness of stable mats. I strongly suspect they're the exact same product!

  • Niv
    Niv Posts: 2,620 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Eldi_Dos said:
    Niv said:
    Eldi_Dos said:
    Look up City Electrical Factors (CEF), rubber safety matting, designed for use in electrical situations.
    Not cheap but very long lasting, I had a piece to line the floor of the back of my vans, it lasted four vans and still had plenty of life in it when I passed it on.

    Also try Screwfix part number 109KN which is on offer at the moment, although I have no personal usage of that product.
    Thanks.  My query with this is, it may be great to protect against scuffs and normal activity , like walking, but would it be much use against a heavy weight dropping on it? It 'feels' like it would be too thin for that?
    The matting that I see on the CEF site is 12mm thick which would be around the same thickness as the stuff used to floor the rear of the vans I had.

    While it was in the van it had generators, waterpumps, road signs, pinch bars and sundry tools in and out of the van on a daily basis plus when on site the back of the van was used as a portable workstation, so it is pretty robust stuff and as I say still had plenty of life in it when I passed it on.
    I only see 3mm and 6mm thickness on the CEF site. If you have a link I would appreciate it. 
    YNWA

    Target: Mortgage free by 58.
  • MyRealNameToo
    MyRealNameToo Posts: 5,226 Forumite
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    The ones mentioned before on Screwfix are 12mm but they also are as much holes as rubber to allow leaks to drain away. I dont think it would give as much protection as the solid options but probably is better for the environment it's designed for than the solid gym mats. 
  • Niv
    Niv Posts: 2,620 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    A gym equipment website recommends greater thicknesses of rubber matting for use in areas where heavier free weights could be dropped, as follows: 
    • 10mm - stationary equipment or free weights up to 100kg.
    • 15mm - functional fitness activities and free weights up to 110kg.
    • 20mm - free weights up to 140kg. 
    • 30mm - free weights up to 200kg; Crossfit.
    • 43mm - free weights up to 250kg; powerlifting and Olympic weight training.
    The thicker mats are heavy (a 1 square metre mat weighs 30kg) and aren't cheap (currently £54.99 for the thickest mats, or £24.99 for 20mm mats, and that's with offers).

    I've seen recommendations to use mats meant for stables as a cheaper option, but prices don't seem any better tbh - e.g., £37.19. In fact, the prices on that last site are the same to the penny whether you choose gym mats or the same thickness of stable mats. I strongly suspect they're the exact same product!

    Thats the sort of stuff I found at B&Q but it was mooted that it can be bouncy. Looks very popular from all the places that seem to sell it. The B&Q sell the 10mm for £21 so that should do. I am no beefcake and doubt I will ever be so 100kg of free weights should suffice.
    YNWA

    Target: Mortgage free by 58.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.