We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Something broken? Let us know on the new Report a Technical Issue board. Please use Site Feedback and Forum Help for other feedback.

Where did the Toggle HTML View </> button go?

Eco_Miser
Eco_Miser Posts: 5,183
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
Forumite
edited 14 January at 5:34AM in Site feedback and Forum Help
I've just written a block of spreadsheet code which the editor messed up by by putting visible <BR/>s at the beginning of each line in the codeblock and not in the underlying HTML to give a new line.
I went to edit the HTML but could not find the button [</>] that used to be on the format toolbar (and is there on this post! Along with several other buttons (strike through, lists and alignments) not present when I was writing my post, which was a reply if that makes any difference)

ETA I went back to that post, edited it and all the buttons were back. They definitely were missing when I originally tried, several times, to edit the post.
Eco Miser
Saving money for well over half a century

Comments

  • MSE_Stephen
    MSE_Stephen Posts: 1,328
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Savvy Shopper!
    Community Admin
    Hi @Eco_Miser

    If you shrink your browser window, the editor seems to remove many buttons without seemingly any way to select them. Could this have been the issue?

    It's very unlikely that there will be any improvements to the editor as there is a new version we hope to switch to soon.
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    To report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Flag a news story:
    news@moneysavingexpert.com
  • Eco_Miser
    Eco_Miser Posts: 5,183
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    That could be it. Something to remember if it happens again. 
    Thanks
    Eco Miser
    Saving money for well over half a century
  • Ildhund
    Ildhund Posts: 1,017
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 27 January at 8:32PM

    I went to edit the HTML but could not find the button [</>] that used to be on the format toolbar

    I see the icon on the 'Special Formats Menu' - click on the pilcrow (¶) at the edge of the editor box, then on the quotation mark (❝) - but it's changed function. I can't (yet) see any way to edit the HTML

    I used this function often just to insert a horizontal rule (<hr>) to 'change tack' within a post. The Markdown command (e.g. —- ) doesn't do anything in the editor, but I'll shortly find out whether it actually works:

    [EDIT a moment later] No, it doesn't do anything.

    I'm not being lazy ... I'm just in energy-saving mode.
    If you're asked to post a photo of your meter   Meter Configuration Tables v2.0.xlsx

  • Eco_Miser
    Eco_Miser Posts: 5,183
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite

    I see the icon on the 'Special Formats Menu' - click on the pilcrow (¶) at the edge of the editor box, then on the quotation mark (❝) - but it's changed function. I can't (yet) see any way to edit the HTML

    My problem was with the old editor, some of the icons disappeared with narrow windows, or large text, but now editing the HTML of the post is impossible, the so called Code Block just lets you write sample code in various languages and prettyprints it.

    Eco Miser
    Saving money for well over half a century
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.