We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Settling in for the long haul
Comments
-
if you listen carefully you will hear the orchestra's fanfare, the rustle of taffeta and the sound of the golden envelope being opened to reveal
We Solve Murders - 6.75/10
I'm currently reading Good People by Patmeena Sabit - it's soooo good!2 -
@Blackcats love it! 💃 🍾
PBs £3050 (including £1k EF & £1k Christmas fund)
21/26 books for 2026Take the time to find the joy in each day
1 -
Good People is the best book I've read for ages. I can't really summarise the plot because the storyline is so cleverly emerging. It's about an Afghan family living in America and there is an unexpected death. I will give my final score when I've finished it but so far it's 10/10!
1 -
I’ll add it to my TBR list. Thank you for the recommendation!
I’ve started A Court of Thorns and Roses. Enjoying it so far, and it’s different from anything else I’ve read before. The closest I can compare it to is a mix of Traditional tales, Twilight and The Hunger Games but we’ll see how it develops.
Today has been a no spend day. I’ve taken Mum for a doctors appointment and Mr D and I have been ‘decluttering’ the Lego cupboard. The result of which has been cluttering up the dining table while we try to salvage some of the sets for displaying or selling. Mr D has had a couple of good sales so he posted those this afternoon and sent me £50 to treat myself to something 😊.
Bit of a hormonal migraine I’m battling tonight, but the relief of not being in work and just letting it ride out is helping!PBs £3050 (including £1k EF & £1k Christmas fund)
21/26 books for 2026Take the time to find the joy in each day
2 -
If anyone here has an old Kindle, please check it. I have one of the originals that I’ve kept for old times’ sake in my desk drawer. It’s somewhere I rarely go into, but last night I went to find an envelope and caught my hand on a very sharp edge. The Kindle casing had popped open due to a swollen battery. That was a house fire waiting to happen!
PBs £3050 (including £1k EF & £1k Christmas fund)
21/26 books for 2026Take the time to find the joy in each day
5 -
How frightening about the kindle! Thank goodness you noticed it.
I get knocked down but I get up again (Chumbawamba, Tubthumping) -.literally have been run over by a bike, mobility scooter and a car - still here 💪1 -
I’ve done a grown up thing this morning and delved into the world of pensions and investments. Something I understand frighteningly little about. Logged on to my pension account and had a look at my annual statement. Did a bit of calculating estimates for amounts if I retired earlier by different number of years and considered if I could live on those amounts. The answer is probably not but maybe. Maybe if my mortgage was lower (it should be), maybe if we reduce outgoings (we could - lifestyle would change with needing one car etc).
I have taken a jump and applied for AVCs to come out of my pay each month. I’ve started small at £50 per month and this will be taken before tax. This means that less than £50 will come out of my pay-check - how much less, I’m not entirely sure until the first payment comes out, but as I’m a higher rate tax payer, I think it should be £30. What I didn’t realise before my research was that this is then invested rather than saved. They invest in higher risk shares to begin with to try and grow the fund, and then in the second phase, as you near retirement, they go into defend the fund mode and move it to lower risk shares.
Now, if nothing changes with the amount I contribute, and I retire at 58, which would be wonderful, I’d have a pot of £9k waiting for me extra at retirement. Obviously I’d need that to be higher but it’s £9k more than I’m on track to have now!
The rest of the day’s plans are to read, relax and play with littlest - marbles and some time in the garden is called for. Much more my wavelength 😂.PBs £3050 (including £1k EF & £1k Christmas fund)
21/26 books for 2026Take the time to find the joy in each day
5 -
I don’t understand pensions at all and I need to learn. I won’t get full years in as I took 12 years off work when my children were young, so need to do something! I’ve read about AVC’s but don’t understand it!
Well done on getting it sorted xx
Find a little bit of joy in every day.
2 -
We’re signature twins @RhiBi
PBs £3050 (including £1k EF & £1k Christmas fund)
21/26 books for 2026Take the time to find the joy in each day
2 -
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards
