We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Travel Cash Card - Simplest and cheapest

Going to India for short trip.  What is the simplest, cheapest cash travel card (I know they widely accept visa/mastercard) to buy?  Over whelmed by the different discussions. and I've read MSE website with options.  I don't mind digital if simplest to get.  All I want to do is load some cash on it and use it during 10 days!!   And then get my money back from surplus??
«1

Comments

  • flaneurs_lobster
    flaneurs_lobster Posts: 12,518
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    What cards/accounts do you already hold?

    What about Chase current account?
  • NoodleDoodleMan
    NoodleDoodleMan Posts: 4,857
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I have a Chase current account - great for travel,  they only offer single accounts although I suspect that is under review.
    Also a Starling joint current account, also excellent for travel.
    Easy to operate via app on mobile 'phone or iPad etc. Chase only available on one device at present.
     IMO MUCH better than pre-paid money cards - I've ditched mine.

  • flaneurs_lobster
    flaneurs_lobster Posts: 12,518
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I have a Chase current account - great for travel,  they only offer single accounts although I suspect that is under review.
    Also a Starling joint current account, also excellent for travel.
    Easy to operate via app on mobile 'phone or iPad etc. Chase only available on one device at present.
     IMO MUCH better than pre-paid money cards - I've ditched mine.

    What's this need for joint accounts?

    When travelling, surely better to have a mix of accounts with different institutions?
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 51,427
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Academoney Grad Name Dropper
    Ambassador
    edited 8 January at 8:59AM
    I use Wise.

     You preload some cash and can then use it in any currency. Exchange fees are the lowest I’ve seen. Easy to add more by transferring from your main bank account. 

    Back in the UK you use it like any other debit card. You can use Apple Pay or the actual card. There is also the option to create extra virtual cards, so if you think you don’t want to give your card number but need to pay for something as a one off, you just create a new virtual card, use it for the one transaction then remove it and your account is safe.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on the housing, mortgages & student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • NoodleDoodleMan
    NoodleDoodleMan Posts: 4,857
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I have a Chase current account - great for travel,  they only offer single accounts although I suspect that is under review.
    Also a Starling joint current account, also excellent for travel.
    Easy to operate via app on mobile 'phone or iPad etc. Chase only available on one device at present.
     IMO MUCH better than pre-paid money cards - I've ditched mine.

    What's this need for joint accounts?

    When travelling, surely better to have a mix of accounts with different institutions?
    You are preaching to the converted, we are very well covered - however the Starling card is the "go to" plastic on holiday, never had any issues.
  • Thanks all.  I'm with HSBC - they have a global card but not exactly what I want.  Wise I've read about - the use of viritual card is useful information plus the fact that I can top up from my current account if needed and use when back here!  
  • NoodleDoodleMan
    NoodleDoodleMan Posts: 4,857
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 9 January at 10:50AM
    By virtual card do you mean Chase and Starling ?
    They issue plastic cards - very straightforward to add or remove funds electronically - basically the same as major "High Street" bank debit cards, only difference you manage via an app on your device .
    They are excellent "user friendly" cards abroad - with good customer service. 
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 21,912
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Chutzpah Haggler
    Forumite
    Barclaycard Rewards. It's a credit card, but is much simpler than a prepaid card or new current account, as you don't need to guess your spending in advance and top it up. Just use it and pay off the balance in full when you get the statement. Uses the VISA exchange rate with no markup and you get 0.25% cashback on purchases. No charge or interest on cash withdrawals either as long as you pay the statement off in full.  
  • flaneurs_lobster
    flaneurs_lobster Posts: 12,518
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    zagfles said:
    Barclaycard Rewards. It's a credit card, but is much simpler than a prepaid card or new current account, as you don't need to guess your spending in advance and top it up. Just use it and pay off the balance in full when you get the statement. Uses the VISA exchange rate with no markup and you get 0.25% cashback on purchases. No charge or interest on cash withdrawals either as long as you pay the statement off in full.  
    I see that overseas ATM withdrawals are fee-free, do you happen to know what the daily/monthly limits are on these withdrawals please? Can't find them on the Barclaycard site.
  • NoodleDoodleMan
    NoodleDoodleMan Posts: 4,857
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 12 January at 5:14PM
    This is Google's reply to the above.
    Your Barclaycard Rewards card has a daily cash withdrawal limit, typically between £300 and £500, plus a lower total cash limit (a percentage of your credit limit), both set individually for you; check your monthly statement or log into your online account to find your specific limits, as they can vary and you might face higher fees and interest for cash withdrawals
    There are no fees for cash withdrawals of course - best to contact BC direct to confirm the above response. 

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.