We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

RBS Credit Card Blocked

hjb3
hjb3 Posts: 13 Forumite
Fourth Anniversary 10 Posts Combo Breaker
edited 5 January at 4:08PM in Credit cards
Hi

My 0% rate is due to end in Jan. On 22nd Dec I did 1 balance trasfer to another card I have, another 1 balance transfer to a new card that I will be replacing this one with. I also made 2 payments. My usual monthly payment from RBS account and another from my savings also RBS to clear the blance. In total about 9k for the 4 transactions. 

Balance transfers have gone  through all ok as have the payments

I did this all in the same day as wasnt sure when the blance transfers would go through.

On 24th Dec I noticed my creidt card was no longer showing on my app. Called RBS and they said I needed to contact Fraud team.

I contacted them and they said its with another team that they can only email and nothing they can do. They have had over 130 hrs to deal with this and I am still blocked and all they keep saying is its with another team and cant tell me anything.

I explained the recent transactions and I also advised no one at RBS contacted me.

I have also raised an official complaint but thats still awaiting assignment. 

Anyone experienced anything similair and how long does it take to reslove. I was told on 24th it would be sorted in 24hrs, then told on 29th 48 hrs, then told on 31st likey next week, called today and they have no timeframe and no update. Only thing they can do is email this team.

This is really not acceptable that I have had to call them, expalin things and I am still waiting. 
«1

Comments

  • Emmia
    Emmia Posts: 7,544 Forumite
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    hjb3 said:
    Hi

    My 0% rate is due to end in Jan. On 22nd Dec I did 1 balance trasfer to another card I have, another 1 balance transfer to a new card that I will be replacing this one with. I also made 2 payments. My usual monthly payment from RBS account and another from my savings also RBS to clear the blance. In total about 9k for the 4 transactions. 

    Balance transfers have gone  through all ok as have the payments

    I did this all in the same day as wasnt sure when the blance transfers would go through.

    On 24th Dec I noticed my creidt card was no longer showing on my app. Called RBS and they said I needed to contact Fraud team.

    I contacted them and they said its with another team that they can only email and nothing they can do. They have had over 130 hrs to deal with this and I am still blocked and all they keep saying is its with another team and cant tell me anything.

    I explained the recent transactions and I also advised no one at RBS contacted me.

    I have also raised an official complaint but thats still awaiting assignment. 

    Anyone experienced anything similair and how long does it take to reslove. I was told on 24th it would be sorted in 24hrs, then told on 29th 48 hrs, then told on 31st likey next week, called today and they have no timeframe and no update. Only thing they can do is email this team.

    This is really not acceptable that I have had to call them, expalin things and I am still waiting. 


    If you've been flagged for potential fraud they're not allowed to tell you anything and the investigation will take as long as it takes.
  • hjb3
    hjb3 Posts: 13 Forumite
    Fourth Anniversary 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    edited 5 January at 4:49PM
    I understand that has been the case, but if I have called up to expalain all this and its all through my RBS banking, and other cards are in my name, surely they can see that is the case. What a complete waste of time and resources. 

    What fraudster pays off someones card with a balance transfer...madness! 

    What is the team that is being emaied?
  • hjb3
    hjb3 Posts: 13 Forumite
    Fourth Anniversary 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    Anyone else faced a similar experience?
  • grumpy_codger
    grumpy_codger Posts: 1,724 Forumite
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    hjb3 said:
    ...

    What fraudster pays off someones card with a balance transfer...madness! 

    ...
    I can imagine a fraudster transferring their balance to someone's hacked credit card account (essentially receiving money from a hacked account).

  • hjb3
    hjb3 Posts: 13 Forumite
    Fourth Anniversary 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    edited 5 January at 11:04PM
    hjb3 said:
    ...

    What fraudster pays off someones card with a balance transfer...madness! 

    ...
    I can imagine a fraudster transferring their balance to someone's hacked credit card account (essentially receiving money from a hacked account).

    Potentially but not very bright.

    In my situation the accounts are all in my name one of them has been for over 12 months, the other is a new account with the bank I hold my ISA with. Plus using my RBS account who I have been a customer with for over 25 years!

    I would be a pretty poor fraudster and it amazes me how long this is taking to resolve! 
  • hjb3 said:
    ...

    What fraudster pays off someones card with a balance transfer...madness! 

    ...
    I can imagine a fraudster transferring their balance to someone's hacked credit card account (essentially receiving money from a hacked account).

    A money launderer.

    Send money in, balance transfer out.

    Clean.
  • hjb3
    hjb3 Posts: 13 Forumite
    Fourth Anniversary 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    In my case no money was sent in to balance transfer out.

    if there is a fraud or money launderer way using balance transfers then it isn’t what I’ve done, but ok my comment about what fraudster would use a balance transfer I can see there is options there.

    I think they really need to get better systems or staff who flag genuine payments as fraud, it’s clear as day these are my payments and transfers. 


  • Emmia
    Emmia Posts: 7,544 Forumite
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    hjb3 said:
    In my case no money was sent in to balance transfer out.

    if there is a fraud or money launderer way using balance transfers then it isn’t what I’ve done, but ok my comment about what fraudster would use a balance transfer I can see there is options there.

    I think they really need to get better systems or staff who flag genuine payments as fraud, it’s clear as day these are my payments and transfers. 


    Only according to you. 

    For whatever reason the RBS system has flagged these payments/your account activity as suspicious. One can only speculate why that may be - perhaps the £9k valuation is over a threshold where more checks are made? perhaps they want to make checks on the source of funds that went into your savings - money laundering could be a concern.

    I can appreciate it's frustrating, but you just have to wait for the outcome of the investigation - hopefully you have back up accounts.

  • hjb3
    hjb3 Posts: 13 Forumite
    Fourth Anniversary 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    edited 6 January at 8:41AM
    I get that that payments have probably flagged but to take now over 144 hrs and counting to correct is ridiculous.

    My savings are with RBS and have been for years. I make a same regular monthly payment each month when my wages are paid into my RBS account. That covers the payments.

    The balance transfers approx 65% of this is to 2 credit cards in my name. 1 that has been opened for over a year and with the company I have my mortgage with. The other is a new card to replace RBS one with the company I have my ISA with.

    so when I say it’s clear as day, I get you are saying only to me, but it also doesn’t take 145 hrs and counting to work that out, especially when I have called and gave them all that information.

    I can only imagine the pain this must cause someone who actually needs there card accessible!
  • hjb3
    hjb3 Posts: 13 Forumite
    Fourth Anniversary 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    Got to love the text message from RBS this morning reminding me that my 0% ends this month and to pay off or attract interest. 
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.