We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Chargeback or Section 75 Protection

I called out an emergency electrician recently and was billed on the spot for £300. I asked if I could get an invoice for insurance purposes. They said yes, just text the company and give my email address. I paid using my credit card, then texted and left my email. Then each day for a week I chased up the invoice, each time being promised I would get it that day. After a week of this I discovered the company had been dissolved in July of this year. Google AI, and Chat GPT, have suggested trying Chargeback, or Section 75 Protection. Any thoughts? I don’t know anything about either of these.


«1

Comments

  • So because you didn't get an invoice you think you can get your money back? Did they fix the problem?
  • mp203 said:

    I called out an emergency electrician recently and was billed on the spot for £300. I asked if I could get an invoice for insurance purposes. They said yes, just text the company and give my email address. I paid using my credit card, then texted and left my email. Then each day for a week I chased up the invoice, each time being promised I would get it that day. After a week of this I discovered the company had been dissolved in July of this year. Google AI, and Chat GPT, have suggested trying Chargeback, or Section 75 Protection. Any thoughts? I don’t know anything about either of these.

    From what you have posted you have absolutely no grounds for a chargeback or section 75 claim. You paid for a service and you received that service, therefore neither of those options are open to you.

    You also have no right to an invoice or receipt and failure/refusal to provide one is in no way grounds to try and reclaim funds for a service provided.
  • As others have said, S75 doesn't apply here. Reading between thr lines, you need the invoice to claim back on your insurance policy? If thats the case, you need to speak to them and explain what's happened and see what they need from you to resolve it.

    If youve not already checked, worth seeing how much your excess is, as it may not be worth the hassle claiming if it is high.
  • mp203
    mp203 Posts: 49 Forumite
    10 Posts Name Dropper First Anniversary
    As others have said, S75 doesn't apply here. Reading between thr lines, you need the invoice to claim back on your insurance policy? If thats the case, you need to speak to them and explain what's happened and see what they need from you to resolve it.

    If youve not already checked, worth seeing how much your excess is, as it may not be worth the hassle claiming if it is high.
    Yes, I need the invoice to make an insurance claim. I'll look into the excess, thanks.
  • mp203
    mp203 Posts: 49 Forumite
    10 Posts Name Dropper First Anniversary
    So because you didn't get an invoice you think you can get your money back? Did they fix the problem?
    They fixed the problem, yes, and I doubt I can get my money back, but I thought it worth checking if there was anything in what the AI bots were saying. Is it legal to operate a company that has been dissolved?
  • mp203
    mp203 Posts: 49 Forumite
    10 Posts Name Dropper First Anniversary
    mp203 said:

    I called out an emergency electrician recently and was billed on the spot for £300. I asked if I could get an invoice for insurance purposes. They said yes, just text the company and give my email address. I paid using my credit card, then texted and left my email. Then each day for a week I chased up the invoice, each time being promised I would get it that day. After a week of this I discovered the company had been dissolved in July of this year. Google AI, and Chat GPT, have suggested trying Chargeback, or Section 75 Protection. Any thoughts? I don’t know anything about either of these.

    From what you have posted you have absolutely no grounds for a chargeback or section 75 claim. You paid for a service and you received that service, therefore neither of those options are open to you.

    You also have no right to an invoice or receipt and failure/refusal to provide one is in no way grounds to try and reclaim funds for a service provided.
    Thanks. I'm surprised I have no right to at least a receipt. Is Google AI wrong when they say, "there's a strict legal requirement for VAT-registered businesses to issue proper VAT invoices when requested" ?
  • mp203 said:
    mp203 said:

    I called out an emergency electrician recently and was billed on the spot for £300. I asked if I could get an invoice for insurance purposes. They said yes, just text the company and give my email address. I paid using my credit card, then texted and left my email. Then each day for a week I chased up the invoice, each time being promised I would get it that day. After a week of this I discovered the company had been dissolved in July of this year. Google AI, and Chat GPT, have suggested trying Chargeback, or Section 75 Protection. Any thoughts? I don’t know anything about either of these.

    From what you have posted you have absolutely no grounds for a chargeback or section 75 claim. You paid for a service and you received that service, therefore neither of those options are open to you.

    You also have no right to an invoice or receipt and failure/refusal to provide one is in no way grounds to try and reclaim funds for a service provided.
    Thanks. I'm surprised I have no right to at least a receipt. Is Google AI wrong when they say, "there's a strict legal requirement for VAT-registered businesses to issue proper VAT invoices when requested" ?
    Top tip - stop relying on AI for legal advice, or much advice come to it.
  • mp203
    mp203 Posts: 49 Forumite
    10 Posts Name Dropper First Anniversary
    mp203 said:
    mp203 said:

    I called out an emergency electrician recently and was billed on the spot for £300. I asked if I could get an invoice for insurance purposes. They said yes, just text the company and give my email address. I paid using my credit card, then texted and left my email. Then each day for a week I chased up the invoice, each time being promised I would get it that day. After a week of this I discovered the company had been dissolved in July of this year. Google AI, and Chat GPT, have suggested trying Chargeback, or Section 75 Protection. Any thoughts? I don’t know anything about either of these.

    From what you have posted you have absolutely no grounds for a chargeback or section 75 claim. You paid for a service and you received that service, therefore neither of those options are open to you.

    You also have no right to an invoice or receipt and failure/refusal to provide one is in no way grounds to try and reclaim funds for a service provided.
    Thanks. I'm surprised I have no right to at least a receipt. Is Google AI wrong when they say, "there's a strict legal requirement for VAT-registered businesses to issue proper VAT invoices when requested" ?
    Top tip - stop relying on AI for legal advice, or much advice come to it.
    Yeah, I wouldn't rely on it for anything, but it does get the ball rolling, and more often than not in my experience it's pretty good as a starting point. But not this time, yeah? Are you implying that there is no legal requirement for VAT-registered businesses to issue VAT invoices when requested? Also, do you know if it's illegal to run a business that's been dissolved?
  • mp203
    mp203 Posts: 49 Forumite
    10 Posts Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Thanks, Stephan.
    "You must use VAT invoices if you and your customer are VAT registered." What if I'm not VAT registered? And I'm assuming they can't be VAT registered if they're dissolved?
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.