We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Fight Cancellation

Morning!  
I am a little confused as to whom I should be claiming from (as I believe I can claim!)

So, flight booked (package deal) through British Airways.  Upon return arrival at Vienna airport, I recieved an email that our original 14.35 to Heathrow (expected arrival time to Heathrow for this flight was 16.10) was cancelled due to technical issues with the plane.

They rebooked us immediately with Austrian Airlines, departing Vienna same day at 17.15.  The plane actually departed at 17.46 and arrived into Heathrow at 18.40.


Am I claiming from BA for the cancelled flight and that we then landed 2hrs 30 mins later than we had originally booked, even though we returned through a different airline?  I can't see why I would claim from Austrian Airlines, and I think I am misreading the guide about claiming from who we flew with.

Any pointers and clarification would be great!

Comments

  • Any claim would be against BA but I'm not sure you actually have a valid claim. Claim for a delay only applies if you were 3+ hours late getting to your destination, it appears you were only 2 hours 30 minutes late.
  • skylight
    skylight Posts: 10,721
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker Home Insurance Hacker!
    Forumite
    Isn't that  3hrs for a delayed flight?  The MSE guide said 2hrs for a cancelled flight.
  • TadleyBaggie
    TadleyBaggie Posts: 7,267
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 14 December 2025 at 1:16PM
    I think you could be right, Citizens Advice say:

    You also have a legal right to:

    • help with costs - if the cancellation delays you 2 or more hours

    • compensation - if you’d be delayed 2 or more hours by the replacement flight offered and you were given less than 2 weeks' notice


    The claim would have to be against BA, Austrian didn't do anything wrong.
  • skylight
    skylight Posts: 10,721
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker Home Insurance Hacker!
    Forumite
    Thanks everyone.
    I put in the claim to BA, will await a reply.

  • skylight
    skylight Posts: 10,721
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker Home Insurance Hacker!
    Forumite
    And for completeness, they emailed me four hours later this afternoon confirming I was entitled to compensation and they will be paying me £220 per person.

    Wow!
  • mdann52
    mdann52 Posts: 234
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    skylight said:
    And for completeness, they emailed me four hours later this afternoon confirming I was entitled to compensation and they will be paying me £220 per person.

    Wow!
    BA are fairly often pretty quick when it's clear-cut like this!

    For future benefit, the rule with a cancellation on the day is they have to offer you a flight scheduled to depart no more than 1 hour before your original departure time, and which is scheduled to arrives no less than 2 hours later then your original arrival time. If they do not do this, compensation is due if the reason for the cancellation is in the airlines control


★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.