We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Is this a reasonable price and is it worth it?

2»

Comments

  • Herzlos said:
    Are the scratches through the paint and primer exposing metal? If so I'd get a paint pen from Halfords and touch them up. Otherwise I'd just leave it alone and keep the £600 for future maintenance. . 
    I will check
  • JGB1955 said:
    Personally, I would keep it mechanically 'fit' but not bother one iota about what it looks like. I doubt you're going to recoup that £595 if you decide to sell it...
    I plan to keep it until it breaks or if I am very lucky sell when I have loads of grandchildren and need lots of space.  (As I have none at the moment the car will have to last a few years)
  • eschaton
    eschaton Posts: 2,307
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Thank you all - I was worried that it might rust and break down quicker
    I can’t see a bit of paint and pulling dents stopping it from breaking down. 
  • Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 16,628
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Thank you all - I was worried that it might rust and break down quicker

    Nothing on the side will contribute to a breakdown, though rust could eventually ruin the panel it's on. Assuming it's not a plastic panel.

    What panels are the damage on?

    The big concern is safety - if there are rough/sharp edges on it then it may not pass an MOT. I don't think that's the case here based on the cost estimate. 

    The next concern is rust, but that's more a precaution. 

    Finally you've got cosmetics. But on a car of that age/value, as long as it's in good mechanical condition who cares about some cosmetic damage? You could pay £600 to fix it and then get hit by a shopping trolley tomorrow. 
  • chrisw
    chrisw Posts: 4,058
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    But if you do want it doing to look nice or peace of mind, then that's not a bad price for the work described.
  • shera12
    shera12 Posts: 50
    10 Posts Photogenic
    Forumite
    £595 sounds reasonable for a proper repair, especially if it will keep the car looking good for a few more years. If the gearbox is solid and the car runs well otherwise, it’s probably worth doing.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.