We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Santander Security is OTT

124»

Comments

  • wmb194
    wmb194 Posts: 6,480 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
  • GeoffTF
    GeoffTF Posts: 2,863 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    As them if you can verify your identity online, with paper documents or by going into a branch?

  • GeoffTF
    GeoffTF Posts: 2,863 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 28 June at 12:36PM

    Santander security OTT? A few days ago, I logged into online banking with just my 5 digit PIN. I then moved several thousand pounds to one of my Building Society accounts, without being asked for an OTP. I was able to close my Edge Saver today (a Sunday) with just voice ID from my usual phone and confirming my name and address. My call was answered almost immediately. I do not expect that there are any banks that would have been simpler.

  • Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 9,914 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    I suspect the main issue being complained about is a double edged sword.

    It's all "why the security for my bank crap when I lost £x thousand to somebody in Nigeria, all I had to do was press a button, what do I do I want my wonga back", but when its day to day stuff that generates all the security checks it all suddenly becomes incredibly intrusive and the biggest PITA ever and "who else is recommended that doesn't bug the crap out of me every time I think about taking some money out?"

    You can't really have a situation that basically boils down to you want to do this, that and the other, you find a bank that lets you do this that and the other and then turn round and say its the bank's fault that it let you do this that and the other and that the net result should have been stopped in the first place.

    The identity thing I had on my Santander app a while back and its documented here:
    https://www.santander.co.uk/personal/support/customer-support/customer-identification-documents

  • Sea_Shell
    Sea_Shell Posts: 10,454 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    I've just moved a balance from Santander to another bank's account in my own name. (via web, not app - deleted that cr*p a while ago)

    Had to click through about 8 pages of "are you sure" messages, along with an OTP and pass #, before it would process this "new payee".

    So it would appear they are a little OTT, compared to other banks processes.

    That's my last dealings with them now, thankfully.

    Just DHs balance to move, and we're done!

    How's it going, AKA, Nutwatch? - 12 month spends to date = 3.24% of current retirement "pot" (as at end December 2025)
  • Fingerbobs
    Fingerbobs Posts: 1,753 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    edited 30 June at 11:33AM

    I'm currently having problems with this too, also under threats to "limit access" to my accounts, whatever that may mean.

    As someone who has numerous accounts with all of the major high-street banks, and quite a few building societies as well, I find it odd that Santander is claiming they are legally required to do this, when they're the only financial institution I have accounts with that is doing it.

    I'm going to give it one more try, then ask if I can just go into a branch an show them my flippin' ID document!

    I've banked with them for nigh on 16 years (in fact longer than that if you count the Abbey National days). You think they'd know who I was by now!

  • GeoffTF
    GeoffTF Posts: 2,863 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    That does not happen to me. Why have you been singled out for special treatment - or have I been singled out for special treatment?

  • GeoffTF
    GeoffTF Posts: 2,863 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    Are you saying that the driving licence thing (whatever that is) stopped you from having to fill in 8 pages and an OTP to make a transfer? Are you saying that Santander is slowly working through its current account customers and making them fill out 8 pages and an OTP to make a transfer? I think two issues are being confused here.

  • gould300
    gould300 Posts: 49 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Name Dropper

    Thanks to those that replied to my earlier post. After figuring out how to trigger the process within the app I tried it several more times in different conditions (reboot/clear data/wifi vs mobile data/different wall colour behind me…) and ended up going into a branch after every attempt failed. Now sorted but I'm moving to another bank which, funnily enough, was quite happy to take my ID and selfie through their app on the first attempt.

  • harz99
    harz99 Posts: 3,857 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Home Insurance Hacker!

    Sorry my bad, for some reason I thought you were referring to the need to update your identity...I'll delete that comment.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.