We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Section 75 claim for defective laptop repairers won't return?
Mr_Crabbs
Posts: 54 Forumite
Hi all, I'd like to understand my options and chances of success for an S75 claim for a faulty laptop.
I bought this in August 2024 but it was never right, partly because it was not fit for purpose, probably not because of a defect but because of an inherent design issue, and partly because of a number of manufacturing faults and defects.
After multiple discussions with retailer and manufacturer I returned it for repair via the retailer in August 2025 while it was still under warranty. I did use it until I returned it, but was never able to use it for its
intended purpose - which manufacturer and retailer had both confirmed it
was suitable for.
The manufacturer did not repair it until outside the warranty period, then first said it was a chargeable repair, then that they would investigate, and have now stopped communicating with the retailer and aren't returning the laptop.
Retailer has offered an exchange up to full purchase price, but don't have anything in their range that's suitable. I haven't directly asked for a refund but it doesn't sound as though they want to give one.
I'm thinking this might be a S75 claim. What are the chances I would be successful, roughly how long might it take, and would I be refunded in full? Thanks.
0
Comments
-
S75 is a how long is a bit of string time frame.Mr_Crabbs said:Hi all, I'd like to understand my options and chances of success for an S75 claim for a faulty laptop.I bought this in August 2024 but it was never right, partly because it was not fit for purpose, probably not because of a defect but because of an inherent design issue, and partly because of a number of manufacturing faults and defects.After multiple discussions with retailer and manufacturer I returned it for repair via the retailer in August 2025 while it was still under warranty. I did use it until I returned it, but was never able to use it for its intended purpose - which manufacturer and retailer had both confirmed it was suitable for.The manufacturer did not repair it until outside the warranty period, then first said it was a chargeable repair, then that they would investigate, and have now stopped communicating with the retailer and aren't returning the laptop.Retailer has offered an exchange up to full purchase price, but don't have anything in their range that's suitable. I haven't directly asked for a refund but it doesn't sound as though they want to give one.I'm thinking this might be a S75 claim. What are the chances I would be successful, roughly how long might it take, and would I be refunded in full? Thanks.
All you can do is speak to your card provider.
But given retailer has offered a exchange up to purchase price, which is very generous, given over a year since purchase.
I think CC would say there is no breach.
partly because it was not fit for purpose
In what way was it not fit for purpose?Life in the slow lane1 -
What is the basis of your claim?Mr_Crabbs said:I bought this in August 2024 but it was never right, partly because it was not fit for purpose, probably not because of a defect but because of an inherent design issue, and partly because of a number of manufacturing faults and defects.
- Not fit for purpose?
- Inherent design issue?
- Manufacturing faults and defects?
What is the mystery intended purpose that you were never able to use the laptop for, but which the manufacturer and retailer had both confirmed it was suitable for?Mr_Crabbs said:
I did use it until I returned it, but was never able to use it for its intended purpose - which manufacturer and retailer had both confirmed it was suitable for.
Was that a specific confirmation of suitable for a purpose, or had you simply said "I want to be able to run software which requires XXX hard drive, YYY processor, ZZZ RAM" and the retailer confirmed that the laptop met those minimum specifications?
If you had these detailed discussions about the intended application for the laptop, was this a business purchase?
Most consumer IT retailers I have ever dealt with would not get into such conversations.0 -
does S75 apply if it was a business purchase?I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Debt Free Wannabe, Old Style Money Saving and Pensions boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
Click on this link for a Statement of Accounts that can be posted on the DebtFree Wannabe board: https://lemonfool.co.uk/financecalculators/soa.php
Check your state pension on: Check your State Pension forecast - GOV.UK
"Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.” Nellie McClung
⭐️🏅😇🏅🏅🏅🏅🏅🏅0 -
Hi all, thanks for your thoughts, and apologies for the long delay replying; things have been hectic due to family issues.Grumpy_chap said:If you had these detailed discussions about the intended application for the laptop, was this a business purchase?
I'm not sure S75 does apply to business purchases, but this was a private purchase for home use.Brie said:does S75 apply if it was a business purchase?born_again said:
partly because it was not fit for purpose
In what way was it not fit for purpose?
Apologies, I hadn't intended to be mysterious; I was trying to be concise and the detail didn't seem directly relevant. I'd asked both manufacturer and retailer in detail about suitability for specific aspects of image editing that rely on display sharpness, and directly about sharpness. Both had responded and confirmed suitability but it turns out OLED displays have an inherent problem in that area, and the Asus display was / is particularly affected.Grumpy_chap said:
What is the mystery intended purpose that you were never able to use the laptop for, but which the manufacturer and retailer had both confirmed it was suitable for ...Mr_Crabbs said:
I did use it until I returned it, but was never able to use it for its intended purpose - which manufacturer and retailer had both confirmed it was suitable for.
All of the above, really. Not fit for purpose, both because it inherently did not meet requirements the manufacturer and retailer said it would, and because other issues meant it couldn't be used properly; manufacturing defects, such as fan and paint coat failure; and design defects that also affected fitness for purpose.Grumpy_chap said:What is the basis of your claim?
- Not fit for purpose?
- Inherent design issue?
- Manufacturing faults and defects?
Thanks; I thought that was probably the case, and when I spoke to the CC company they didn't want to commit, but hoped someone might be able to give some indication.born_again said:S75 is a how long is a bit of string time frame. All you can do is speak to your card provider. But given retailer has offered a exchange up to purchase price, which is very generous, given over a year since purchase. I think CC would say there is no breach.I'm inclined to agree about the retailer offer, though the whole process has been very lengthy, time consuming and costly, but the issues when I posted were that the retailer was unable to offer a suitable alternative, which made their offer fairly meaningless, and it was conditional on the actions of an unresponsive manufacturer; hence my considering S75.However, all my investigations suggest the S75 process will be lengthy and difficult, even with a positive outcome, I was struggling without an up to date laptop, and the retailer subsequently added a suitable alternative to their range, so I've taken their offer and have a new laptop that seems pretty good so far.2 -
You may find that a S75 claim will require an independent examination and report on the equipment. Somewhat difficult to arrange if it is not in your possession. I would keep pushing for a refund.0
-
Does the retailer sell any laptops that are suitable now you know about the OLED issue? Instead of an exchange, they may be willing to offer a partial credit against a more expensive model if you pay the difference.0
-
To @MEM62 and @Woodstok2000The OP has already accepted the retailer's offer: "I was struggling without an up to date laptop, and the retailer subsequently added a suitable alternative to their range, so I've taken their offer and have a new laptop that seems pretty good so far."Hopefully the new laptop has a sharp enough display, but if it doesn't I wonder whether any laptop screen would be suitable, perhaps a larger external monitor would be the final answer.
2 -
This seems odd because OLED displays are the top end displays for nearly all image work now, are incredibly sharp, with excellent RGB colours representations and infinite contrast.Mr_Crabbs said:
Apologies, I hadn't intended to be mysterious; I was trying to be concise and the detail didn't seem directly relevant. I'd asked both manufacturer and retailer in detail about suitability for specific aspects of image editing that rely on display sharpness, and directly about sharpness. Both had responded and confirmed suitability but it turns out OLED displays have an inherent problem in that area, and the Asus display was / is particularly affected.
I use OLED monitors for work, both at home and in the office and my Laptop. At work I have the Asus Pro-Art OLED monitor, my laptop is the Pro-Art book, my home monitor is an MSI OLED, similarly sharp but lower RGB as it is a gaming monitor.
One usually needs to set things up slightly different though, by default Windows might not be on 100% or more of RGB and TrueType can make text blurry on OLED as Windows does not handle the sub-pixel structure properly.
From your post it sounds like you might have a ProArt laptop and it is odd that you have an issue with image quality as they are consistently rated the top laptops for graphics work, tied with MacBook Pros for those who like Mac ecosystem.0 -
Ah! OK....SiliconChip said:To @MEM62 and @Woodstok2000The OP has already accepted the retailer's offer: "I was struggling without an up to date laptop, and the retailer subsequently added a suitable alternative to their range, so I've taken their offer and have a new laptop that seems pretty good so far."Hopefully the new laptop has a sharp enough display, but if it doesn't I wonder whether any laptop screen would be suitable, perhaps a larger external monitor would be the final answer.0 -
MattMattMattUK said:This seems odd because OLED displays are the top end displays for nearly all image work now, are incredibly sharp, with excellent RGB colours representations and infinite contrast ...Thanks, that's interesting. We're going well off topic now, but that might be the difference between pro and consumer level displays, though that idea maybe doesn't quite fit with your gaming laptop.Agree on the colour gamut and contrast ratio, and you may well be right about sharpness on the Pro-Art - I've never used one - but there does seem to be a known, inherent issue with OLED, not just with Asus; when looking for a replacement I saw the same problem with Lenovo.It is partly the sub-pixel layout and partly Windows not playing nicely with it as you say, and though I mention imaging I struggled just with text clarity at times.
I got an MSI with a good quality IPS display in the end, and I'm pleased with it so far; clear, sharp, easy to read, less tiringand I can tell whether an image is focused or not! There were reasons to go the laptop direction particularly for portability but it's likely we'll also get an external display in due course.SiliconChip said:Hopefully the new laptop has a sharp enough display, but if it doesn't I wonder whether any laptop screen would be suitable, perhaps a larger external monitor would be the final answer.0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards

