New to Mobiles - help!

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Mobiles
11 replies 1.4K views
beefsterbeefster Forumite
730 posts
500 Posts
✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Mobiles
I have been dragged into the real world and am looking to purchase a mobile of my own. I will need to call and text family in Ireland as well as normal use.
I am fairly sure I will be a very low user but am prone to using the text facility quite a bit on my current work phone. (which I am not allowed to use for private use, I've had the ticking off and now getting my own one!). Having never even contemplated purchasing one before I am lost in the hundreds of differant offers that abound. Any pointers greatfully recieved particually regarding contacting friends and family in Ireland.
Ta very much.
I save so I can spend.

Replies

• DonnyDaveDonnyDave Forumite
    1.6K posts
    If you're new to mobile phone tariffs, a look at MobileShop.org. It's best to check the network's website to be sure you have the latest prices.
  • hi,i always use E2save.com,found them very good - latest handsets,latest tarrifs,excellent delivery - just make sure you avoid the 3 Network - cheap,but they dont cancel things when they are supposed to,add payments for things you should not be receiving and if you want to speak to someone be prepared for a long wait whilst your redirected to india ! >:(
  • If you are sending txt msgs to Southern Ireland, the cost of these text messages are not the same as sending within the UK.
    This is a point that you should keep in mind.

ie. Even though you may have certain amount of free text messages included within your tariff, international text messages may not be included. These can cost up to 24(!)p each.

I don't use my mobile telephone for the International SMS, so I cannot advise you further than to suggest that you ask the sales person that very pertinent question.
  • thefirsthefirs Forumite
    681 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    A few suggestions:

For the PAYG low user, Virgin almost always works out cheapest. Sms to ROI for example is only 20p per shot. You can get a Virgin sim with £5 credit on it for only £4.29 from http://www.forwardcellular.co.uk/index.html?target=dept_21.html&lang=en-gb, or better still if you have a mate with a Virgin account then get him/her to ring CS and ask about 'glue' which means a referral reward for both of you in plain speak.

To avoid having to buy a handset, how about getting a dual-sim back for your office phone? Have a look at the eBay traders for a cheap version. Avoid the ones that require you to switch off-on to change sims. You'll need to check the handset is unlocked, and personally I wouldn't mess with trying to unlock unofficially any office-provided equipment.

For really cheap sms to ROI, offer to buy your relos a UK Virgin sim. That would get you sms @ 3p per throw.

Lastly, it can be possible to get a year's mobile telephony for nothing, or even significant profit if you spot the right contract deal on special offer, then sell the handset on eBay. I recently got a (net after selling fees) £109 for a T610 from the CPW September offer. As the annual contract cost was only £60 (or less if the rPoints cough up) after cashback, you can see how the arithmetic stacks up. You'll normally get a bundle of X-net minutes thrown in as well that will reduce your fixed-line charges from home.
  • beefsterbeefster Forumite
    730 posts
    500 Posts
    ✭✭
    Moved on a bit due to the Argos sale.
    I have got myself an Orange Samsung C100 at £24.99. As previously stated I am not at all up on the mobile phone speak but assume i now need to get this inlocked and move to Virgin for the best deal. Then get the add on dual sim unit for this phone to use for work too?
    I save so I can spend.
    730 posts
    500 Posts
    ✭✭
    Is the new Orange deal - free calls in the evening after 8pm worth invetigating??
    I save so I can spend.
  • thefirsthefirs Forumite
    681 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Is the new Orange deal - free calls in the evening after 8pm worth invetigating??
    Have a look at http://shop.orange.co.uk/shop/show/offer/eveningminutes. It seems to relate to Orange contracts rather than PAYG
    Then get the add on dual sim unit for this phone to use for work too?
    As you now have a second handset, there doesn't seem much need for a dual-sim back, though just do a search on Google for (e.g.)"Samsung C100 dual sim" to find some suppliers.

If you're new to mobiles, perhaps the best way is to now suck it and see. You'll learn what suits you, what you like/need and vice-versa, how much you're spending and whether worthwhile savings can be had from another supplier or a contract.
    730 posts
    500 Posts
    ✭✭
    That would seem the best way forward as I am currently going around in circles.
    I have just read Martins article on getting cheap overseas calls which should save me a bit. I need to do some research to find out if surcharges are added to calls when ringing the 0845 0r 0911 numbers and alike. I am also going to see if similar offers are available in Ireland so the folks can save on calling me too.
    I will post elsewhere for details on this.
    Ta very much for your interest and help.
    I save so I can spend.
  • If you're on Orange, you need to pay no more than the standard cost of calling another Orange number to reach Ireland.

Do this by using this number:-

0797 383 2825

This is an Orange mobile number, you can then ring any of these destinations:

Australia
    Austria
    Azores
    Belgium
    Brazil (Rio de Janeiro)
    Brazil (Sao Paulo)
    Bulgaria (Sofia)
    Canada
    Canary Islands
    Chile
    Czech Republic
    Denmark
    Estonia
    Finland
    France
    Germany
    Greece
    Hong Kong
    Hong Kong-mobile
    Iceland
    Indonesia (Jakarta)
    Ireland
    Italy
    Japan
    Korea (South)
    Liechtenstein
    Luxembourg
    Madeira
    Malaysia
    Netherlands
    New Zealand
    Norway
    Portugal
    Puerto Rico
    Russia (Moscow)
    Russia (St Petersburg)
    San Marino
    Singapore
    Singapore-mobile
    South Africa - (8am to 6pm Only)
    Spain
    Sweden
    Switzerland
    Taiwan
    UK National
    UK 0845
    USA
    USA (Alaska)
    USA (Hawaii)
    USA-mobile

https://www.pre-dial.com

( I don't know how it works, I just know that it does!).
    730 posts
    500 Posts
    ✭✭
    Top banana...... ta very much. ;):)

I will give it a go.
    I save so I can spend.
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support