We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

.k............................................

124»

Comments

  • mta999
    mta999 Posts: 773
    500 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 9 October 2025 at 2:31PM
    may have been mentioned before but NS&I direct saver allows min £1 debit card topups
  • PRAISETHESUN
    PRAISETHESUN Posts: 5,275
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    mta999 said:
    may have been mentioned before but NS&I direct saver allows min £1 debit card topups

    Only downside with NS&I is that it takes a full week until you can withdraw your funds again after depositing by debit card. Alright for small amounts but it can be annoying if you're trying to cycle around larger amounts.
  • Rob5342
    Rob5342 Posts: 3,134
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I'm not sure why this is a discussion point, just stick a bit of money in the account and use the debit card for your day to day spending and you'll soon get up to 10 transactions. I've made 6 transactions since yesterday, all things i would have bought anyway. 
  • They’ve already been told that the best way is to make x number of £1 payments to their utility supplier
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 11,794
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Rob5342 said:
    I'm not sure why this is a discussion point, just stick a bit of money in the account and use the debit card for your day to day spending and you'll soon get up to 10 transactions. I've made 6 transactions since yesterday, all things i would have bought anyway. 
    Some people don't want to do it so prefer something that costs nothing effectively like payments to savers. I agree the transactions are easier for me

    Sam Vimes' Boots Theory of Socioeconomic Unfairness: 

    People are rich because they spend less money. A poor man buys $10 boots that last a season or two before he's walking in wet shoes and has to buy another pair. A rich man buys $50 boots that are made better and give him 10 years of dry feet. The poor man has spent $100 over those 10 years and still has wet feet.

  • dul50n
    dul50n Posts: 33
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I've been using Yorkshire Building Society online savings accounts for this purpose for years to qualify for monthly bank rewards from Danske Bank and Halifax and the occasional switch bonus

    Make multiple debit card deposits each month, take them back a couple of days later and they earn a few pennies interest whilst they clear
  • NS&I Direct Saver accepts debit card payments of £1.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.