We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

I am not a person

2»

Comments

  • alex284
    alex284 Posts: 4
    Name Dropper First Post
    Newbie

    I did manage to get a friend (who is a solicitor) to confirm my identity online, but I later received an HMPO email saying they “do not meet the criteria”. I’ve also tried two of my landlords, but they haven’t responded to my requests.

    I’m a fairly introverted person, so I find it quite uncomfortable having to repeatedly ask people for a favour like this, especially when it involves official identity verification.

    Interestingly, as a director of my own UK Ltd company, I’m eligible to act as a countersignatory for someone else - but that doesn’t really help me if I can’t find anyone suitable for my own application.

    If anyone here is also a director of a UK Ltd and has faced the same issue, feel free to reach out. Maybe we can help each other out in a legitimate and compliant way.

  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 10,850
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 17 April at 9:49PM

    I was lucky - I only had to go as far as the back fence for a retired teacher who had known me for more than 2 years.

    Interestingly, my age 70 photo driving licence application/photo (had the green paper one until then!) was the first one she had ever signed. Seems it was school policy NOT to sign such things, despite constant demands from parents, because the teachers just didn't know them well enough.

  • Grumpy_chap
    Grumpy_chap Posts: 21,799
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 18 April at 7:20AM

    How would someone on here be eligible to verify your identity in a legitimate and compliant way?

    Who can sign your form and photo

    Your countersignatory must:

    have known you (or the adult who signed the form if the passport is for a child under 16) for at least 2 years

    be able to identify you, for example they’re a friend, neighbour or colleague (not just someone who knows you professionally)

    be ‘a person of good standing in their community’ or work in (or be retired from) a recognised profession

    The three requirements are "AND" not "OR". The counter-signatory needs to say "yes" to all the criteria.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.