We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Calls to Europe

Hi,
I want to call to Europe but that person is with no internet connection. I used to use Skype but it is no working any longer. I don’t want to switch company. Which are the options now? Thank you 

Comments

  • jbrassy
    jbrassy Posts: 1,057
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Try downloading an app called Rebtel. It allows you to make international calls to landlines and mobiles at low cost. 
  • flaneurs_lobster
    flaneurs_lobster Posts: 12,552
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    jbrassy said:
    Try downloading an app called Rebtel. It allows you to make international calls to landlines and mobiles at low cost. 
    ..similarly Viber (its paid-for calling bit is called Viber Out), just so that you can compare the rates for calling overseas.
  • J_B
    J_B Posts: 7,050
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Hi,
    I want to call to Europe but that person is with no internet connection. I used to use Skype but it is no working any longer. I don’t want to switch company. Which are the options now? Thank you 
    You don't say how you wish to call - mobile, landline, internet based? - and which 'company' you are with.

  • MyRealNameToo
    MyRealNameToo Posts: 5,269
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I want to call to Europe but that person is with no internet connection. I used to use Skype but it is no working any longer. I don’t want to switch company. Which are the options now? Thank you 
    You can use any VOIP option like those mentioned or Voipfone or Andrews & Arnold 
  • J_B said:
    Hi,
    I want to call to Europe but that person is with no internet connection. I used to use Skype but it is no working any longer. I don’t want to switch company. Which are the options now? Thank you 
    You don't say how you wish to call - mobile, landline, internet based? - and which 'company' you are with.

    I want to call from O2 to a mobile without internet in Spain. 
  • flaneurs_lobster
    flaneurs_lobster Posts: 12,552
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    J_B said:
    Hi,
    I want to call to Europe but that person is with no internet connection. I used to use Skype but it is no working any longer. I don’t want to switch company. Which are the options now? Thank you 
    You don't say how you wish to call - mobile, landline, internet based? - and which 'company' you are with.

    I want to call from O2 to a mobile without internet in Spain. 
    PAYM with O2? For £3/mth they'll charge you 10p/min to call a mobile in Spain, without the £3 "Bolt-on" it's 22p/min. 
  • Frozen_up_north
    Frozen_up_north Posts: 3,242
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    From GiffGaff (O2 virtual network) it’s 8p per min to Spanish mobiles.

    It is much better to get the person with the Spanish mobile to use WiFi, or mobile data. Then you can use WhatsApp for free calls.

    A friend is in her 90s and uses WhatsApp from Spain, so your Spanish friend/relative needs to move with the times for much easier communications
  • J_B
    J_B Posts: 7,050
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    J_B said:
    Hi,
    I want to call to Europe but that person is with no internet connection. I used to use Skype but it is no working any longer. I don’t want to switch company. Which are the options now? Thank you 
    You don't say how you wish to call - mobile, landline, internet based? - and which 'company' you are with.

    I want to call from O2 to a mobile without internet in Spain. 
    Does your phone have a second sim slot?
    You could get a Lebara (second) sim with 'free' international calls ... perhaps, *IF* such offers are still available.

  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 19,446
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Lebara plans include 100 mins of international calls, get the cheapest option and will only be a couple of quid
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.