We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Car insurance - DOC

2»

Comments

  • WellKnownSid
    WellKnownSid Posts: 2,271 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ohreallƳ said:
    If it helps anyone, a lot of time was wasted with proposal to Tesco insurance, only when getting beyond the front pages and entering lots of details does one discover DOC is not included.

    Eventually get a quote from RAC which include DOC.

    Another thing noticed, returning to already provided quotes, I was unable to simply click through and purchase a policy as doing so simply retriggered a new quote at a higher price as I'm no longer 3 weeks out but more like three days; I felt that was disingenuous.
    Quotes tend to only be valid for a set period. Not endless. 👍
    There are plenty of reports of some insurers / brokers employing dynamic pricing models which increase every 24 hours but magically reset themselves when viewed from a different browser.

    If true this might fall fowl of government moves towards pricing transparency especially if customers are being artificially pressured into making a purchase.
  • ohreallƳ
    ohreallƳ Posts: 164 Forumite
    100 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    ohreallƳ said:
    If it helps anyone, a lot of time was wasted with proposal to Tesco insurance, only when getting beyond the front pages and entering lots of details does one discover DOC is not included.

    Eventually get a quote from RAC which include DOC.

    Another thing noticed, returning to already provided quotes, I was unable to simply click through and purchase a policy as doing so simply retriggered a new quote at a higher price as I'm no longer 3 weeks out but more like three days; I felt that was disingenuous.
    Quotes tend to only be valid for a set period. Not endless. 👍

    At time of quote I was informed valid for 31 days although some were shorter. Retuning by clicking email link failed to load the earlier quote, simply to reload the proposal information.
  • HillStreetBlues
    HillStreetBlues Posts: 7,122 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Homepage Hero Photogenic
    ohreallƳ said:
    ohreallƳ said:
    If it helps anyone, a lot of time was wasted with proposal to Tesco insurance, only when getting beyond the front pages and entering lots of details does one discover DOC is not included.

    Eventually get a quote from RAC which include DOC.

    Another thing noticed, returning to already provided quotes, I was unable to simply click through and purchase a policy as doing so simply retriggered a new quote at a higher price as I'm no longer 3 weeks out but more like three days; I felt that was disingenuous.
    Quotes tend to only be valid for a set period. Not endless. 👍

    At time of quote I was informed valid for 31 days although some were shorter. Retuning by clicking email link failed to load the earlier quote, simply to reload the proposal information.
    I've had that in the past with AA insurance, went to buy it within time-frame and price jumped. It ended up doing me a favour as refused to buy at dearer price and a few days later a cheaper quote came up. I now pay little credence to those dates.

    Let's Be Careful Out There
  • I echo the frustration felt by others about DOC cover.  I am 77, have held a clean licence for 60 years and DOC has always been included on my policies.  It's not that I have ever needed it, but I always knew it was there.  I compare quotes each year and frequently change companies in order to retain a competitive quote.  I have only just noticed that my current policy (with Goskippy) does NOT include DOC cover.  There is never an option to request it when comparing quotes.

    I guess it's a simple case of caveat emptor but wonder whether it is likely to become more common for companies to omit it, as a cost-cutting exercise, about which they keep quiet?
  • WellKnownSid
    WellKnownSid Posts: 2,271 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 6 November 2025 at 7:07PM
    I echo the frustration felt by others about DOC cover.  I am 77, have held a clean licence for 60 years and DOC has always been included on my policies.  It's not that I have ever needed it, but I always knew it was there.  I compare quotes each year and frequently change companies in order to retain a competitive quote.  I have only just noticed that my current policy (with Goskippy) does NOT include DOC cover.  There is never an option to request it when comparing quotes.

    I guess it's a simple case of caveat emptor but wonder whether it is likely to become more common for companies to omit it, as a cost-cutting exercise, about which they keep quiet?
    You were paying for something that most people never used - you didn't!  I guess continuous insurance mostly killed it off.

    These days it's possible to insure any car in three seconds with a mobile phone for a few pounds - with fewer restrictions than DOC.
  • Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 16,619 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    I guess continuous insurance mostly killed it off.
    I don't see why - the other car would still need to be insured by someone who isn't a direct family member. 

  • ohreallƳ
    ohreallƳ Posts: 164 Forumite
    100 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper

    Well here we go again, 12 months hence, like Wiley Coyote and roadrunner; let it begin.

  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 19,442 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    Admiral have DOC cover on their policies if you're the appropriate age

    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • Mildly_Miffed
    Mildly_Miffed Posts: 2,626 Forumite
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    Get the quotes from the aggregator.
    Decide which one you like the look of.
    Phone that company, and ask.

    Job jobbed.

  • ohreallƳ
    ohreallƳ Posts: 164 Forumite
    100 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper

    Darwin includes DoC.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.