We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

O2 fraud, what else should I do?

BlondeHeadOn
BlondeHeadOn Posts: 2,277
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
Forumite
Last August (2024) I received an O2 sim card through the post, addressed to Mr XY at my address.  There has never been a Mr XY living at my address, and I have lived here for 26 years. So I phoned O2 to report this as fraud, and was told to cut up the sim card and send it back to them which I did.

Fast forward to last month, when I started receiving a series of O2 bills addressed to Mr XY at my address.  I phoned O2 again to report these as related to the same fraud I had reported last August.  The person I spoke to didn't seem that interested in the fraud or the letters, but started trying to persuade me to upgrade my own O2 account (which I refused!)  Anyway he said the fraud had been noted, and would be dealt with(?) within 48 hours.  I haven't heard anything else about that since.

Three weeks later, and I am still receiving more O2 letters addressed to Mr XY at my address.  I don’t know how worried I should be, or what else I should do?  

All helpful suggestions gratefully accepted!


Comments

  • DE_612183
    DE_612183 Posts: 4,203
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    ignore them - unless you are Mr XY - send them back to O2 as not known at this address.
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,426
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    Forumite
    Typical of these big companies! Phone them up and they try and sell you something! lol

    All on commission now.
  • BlondeHeadOn
    BlondeHeadOn Posts: 2,277
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    AndyPK said:
    Typical of these big companies! Phone them up and they try and sell you something! lol

    All on commission now.
    He kept saying "But this is a really special offer, I can give you double the amount of your data allowance!"  To which I replied "but I never use all the data allowance I have in my current contract, so why would I want to double that?" 🤔  
    He gave up in the end.  😁 

  • ButterCheese
    ButterCheese Posts: 950
    Fourth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I had a similar issue when I went with Virgin Media, who had "teamed up" with O2 when I got my broadband deal.  They said they would send me an O2 SIM card in the post; I specifically said I did not want it because I wouldn't use it.  They sent it anyway.  A month later I noticed £14.99 had been taken from O2.  I phoned up to complain, and they said the SIM card is activated as soon as it is sent out.  I had not even taken it out of the packet.  I said I did not sign a contract with them, only Virgin Media, and what they had done was not lawful.  They said there's nothing they can do.  It took a further 2 phonecalls to finally demand I speak to a Manager and that this debt is stricken off, and to cancel it.  They finally had the cheek to say "as a goodwill gesture, we will refund the charges and cancel the contract".
  • BlondeHeadOn
    BlondeHeadOn Posts: 2,277
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I had a similar issue when I went with Virgin Media, who had "teamed up" with O2 when I got my broadband deal.  They said they would send me an O2 SIM card in the post; I specifically said I did not want it because I wouldn't use it.  They sent it anyway.  A month later I noticed £14.99 had been taken from O2.  I phoned up to complain, and they said the SIM card is activated as soon as it is sent out.  I had not even taken it out of the packet.  I said I did not sign a contract with them, only Virgin Media, and what they had done was not lawful.  They said there's nothing they can do.  It took a further 2 phonecalls to finally demand I speak to a Manager and that this debt is stricken off, and to cancel it.  They finally had the cheek to say "as a goodwill gesture, we will refund the charges and cancel the contract".
    That's scandalous, O2 are all about hard selling in my experience.  Glad you got your money back!
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.