We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including number plates, reference numbers and QR codes (which may reveal vehicle information when scanned).
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Yet another DCB Legal Smart Parking claim

PCN1969
PCN1969 Posts: 12 Forumite
Fourth Anniversary 10 Posts Name Dropper
Hi, I would appreciate some advice please. In 2022 I received charges from Smart Parking for parking in a pub car park that I drank in. I kept asking the pub to intervene and eventually they emailed me to say they ‘had confirmation this morning that this ticket has been cancelled’ 

I heard no more from Smart Parking so assumed this email from the pub was correct. However, I have recently received several letters demanding money from ZZPS. I emailed them sending the email from the pub about the ticket being cancelled and have today received an email reply from ZZPS saying ‘the pub do not have authorisation to cancel charges on Smart Parkings behalf’ so pay up! 
This seems a very unfair response. Should I just ignore and eventually go to court over this? 
Many thanks for your time. 
I have used your forum previously and been successful with POPLA on behalf of my son so appreciate your efforts and time spent on here
«13

Comments

  • ChirpyChicken
    ChirpyChicken Posts: 3,616 Forumite
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Yes you ignore ZZPS
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 44,978 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Hang on to that email, it might be needed if Smart launch a court claim, which they have recently started to do. Crucial evidence. 
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

    I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

    Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

    #Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 165,679 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 6 July 2025 at 10:25PM
    You could raise a complaint by email with Smart, saying that the PCN was cancelled 2 years ago, so they should not be still processing or sharing your data. Threaten to report them to the IPC, DVLA and the ICO.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top or bottom of any page where it says:
    Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • patient_dream
    patient_dream Posts: 4,543 Forumite
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 7 July 2025 at 8:56AM
    As much as ZZPS has NO authorisation  to cancel, neither do they have authorisation to take you to court .... TOTALLY POWERLESS 

    ZZPS is the OSNER scam adding fake amounts.  A BPA APPROVED MEMBER, so much for the BPA

    SMART will destroy the pub because with this rubbish, customers will vanish
  • PCN1969
    PCN1969 Posts: 12 Forumite
    Fourth Anniversary 10 Posts Name Dropper

    Well as expected, I have eventually received a court claim with Smart Parking as the Claimant for £309.84

    I presume I should just follow your detailed guidance and contest this. Any advice what I base my defence on please seeing I have an email from the pub (all be it some time after the said incident) saying they ‘had confirmation this morning the ticket had been cancelled’

    Many thanks

  • Ralph-y
    Ralph-y Posts: 4,842 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    who is the solicitor they are using please …. DCB Legal?

  • patient_dream
    patient_dream Posts: 4,543 Forumite
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    That is good news. At ;east you have roof now. You should tell the pub to expect a decrease in businesss due to Smart Parking. Many pubs have suffered the same, how many are left ?

  • PCN1969
    PCN1969 Posts: 12 Forumite
    Fourth Anniversary 10 Posts Name Dropper

    I think the pub has probably changed hands as this was from 2022. Not sure if the same system is in place there now though. I hope not!

  • PCN1969
    PCN1969 Posts: 12 Forumite
    Fourth Anniversary 10 Posts Name Dropper

    yes, the solicitor is DCB Legal Ltd

  • Gr1pr
    Gr1pr Posts: 16,135 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Second Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    Post the Issue date from the top right of the claim form below

    Do the AOS stage online on MCOL if more than 5 days have passed

    Then use the meltof defence template from 12th April in the Smart Parking group thread, changing the figure to £170 if your POC say £170

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.