We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Weed, tree or plant worth keeping?

twopenny
twopenny Posts: 9,360
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
Forumite
I've had 2 of these grow in a discarded pot.

I know the little spots of Vervain on the left seeded from elsewhere.

But not sure about the 2 larger ones on the right.
I did have a couple of Dalia corms that were knocking around, I thought I'd planted and they'd not survived.

Could they be or is it one of the random things that got blown across our gardens in the spring storm?


I can rise and shine - just not at the same time!

viral kindness .....kindness is contageous pass it on

The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well


«13

Comments

  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 15,616
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    They look like dahlias, the big ones...
    Non me fac calcitrare tuum culi
  • twopenny
    twopenny Posts: 9,360
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Thanks Taff.
    I did wonder but it's been decades since I grew them so I'm not familiar.
    It would be a real treat if it was.


    I can rise and shine - just not at the same time!

    viral kindness .....kindness is contageous pass it on

    The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well


  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 15,616
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    First time growing them this year, I'm getting used ot seeing the foliage and how fast it can get eaten if I don't make them inaccessible....
    Non me fac calcitrare tuum culi
  • Twixty3
    Twixty3 Posts: 98
    Third Anniversary 10 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 15,616
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Just been out to take a photo, hopefully it shows similarities?


    Non me fac calcitrare tuum culi
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 15,616
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Damn twixty, you could be right....
    Non me fac calcitrare tuum culi
  • twopenny
    twopenny Posts: 9,360
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 9 June 2025 at 8:18AM
    Not ground elder Twixty though I know why you'd think so.
    Last garden had tons of it so I'm very familiar with that.

    Thanks for that effort Taff. The leaves are similar just smaller but considering what I've put them through it's not surprising.
    Yours are really healthy. 🙂

    I can rise and shine - just not at the same time!

    viral kindness .....kindness is contageous pass it on

    The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well


  • Dustyevsky
    Dustyevsky Posts: 3,472
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Homepage Hero Photogenic
    Forumite
    As a well-known conspiracy theorist, I'd say the lack of slug damage is significant evidence they might not be dahlias, assuming slugs had access to the pot. 
    Some plants are like governments, in the sense they often appear to be something benign, before revealing their true nature. ;)  For example, Anchusa is a garden plant with bright blue flowers and hairy foliage, while Alkanet is a pernicious weed that looks remarkably similar to it, especially in spring.
    Here, whether you consider my suggested ID a 'weed' is less clear-cut. They're not ground elder, but I think they might be small Sambucus, i.e. wee elderberry trees. Only 'might be,' mind. I'd need a 5 part YouTube series to monetise explore all the possibilities.  :)
     

    Never believe anything until it's officially denied.

  • pink_poppy
    pink_poppy Posts: 2,248
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Homepage Hero
    Forumite
    I thought elder too, but my plant ID app (PlantNet) said it was 30% likely to be Angelica??

    It did identify taff's plant correctly as a Dahlia.
    'A watched potato will never chit'...
  • Dustyevsky
    Dustyevsky Posts: 3,472
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Homepage Hero Photogenic
    Forumite
    I thought elder too, but my plant ID app (PlantNet) said it was 30% likely to be Angelica??

    It did identify taff's plant correctly as a Dahlia.
    I thought AI would turn up eventually and steal my job!  :D
    I'd not rule out Angelica. What did it say the other 70% was, potentially? 

    Never believe anything until it's officially denied.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.