sick cat

Options
We have a cat who's 11 years old and he has always had an iffy tummy, easily sick after food,over the years we have tried numerous different brands and every time we think we've cracked it, he starts being sick again.

Does anybody know of a delicate food we could try him with? dried or wet?

shezzy

Comments

• the_devil_made_me_do_it
    Options
    Please don't give dried whether ill or not.

My cat developed Diabetes mainly due to finding small amounts of dried cat biscuits. My vet totally advised against giving her anymore. They are full of starch and cats can't cope with it. They ain't good at all for cats. A lsdy i spoke to in a supermarket a couple of weeks ago, said her daughter's cat had to have a serious operation on it's intestines due to the dried food not being digested properly and causing severe blockage.

Cats don't drink much as it is. They get alot of moisture from "wet" cat food; but feeding them dried food (even with water) can/does cause them problems; their urine gets very strong and can burn their insides.

Felix is good for cats as it's not as starchy as other foods. Maybe try with some cooked chicken and white meats. It's hit or miss, depending on what your cat likes and will eat.

I'd take the cat to the vets and get him checked out. If the vet suggests (prescribed diet), check online pet pharmacies, they sell it cheaper.
  • floyd
    floyd Posts: 2,722 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    their urine gets very strong and can burn their insides.

Urine, no matter how concentrated, will not burn the insides of any animal. The glomerulus/nephron of the kidney is very highly developed to sense salt and ion concentrations and adjustments are made accordingly to ensure it never becomes alkaline or acidic enough to damage the renal tissues.
    They may be more prone to disorders such as cystitis or renal stones but it will not burn them.

As the previous poster suggested, see your vet as Hills and some other companies do presciption diets for gastrointestinal disorders, both wet and dry and he/she can advise which is most suitable ;)
  • sandy2_2
    sandy2_2 Posts: 1,931 Forumite
    Options
    With our old chap we find that if he's going thro' a sicky period feeding him litttle and often is better
    Options
    Floyd, I'm only saying what the vet told me regarding urine strength. I'm not a vet, so am obviously only repeating the information i was told. Although your comments sound viable, I still have a tendency to agree with my vet.

Regardless of what is right or wrong, those conditions you mentioned are very painful, so if avoiding dried food aids the cat in not developing these conditions, then avoid dry food.
  • 74white
    Options
    I've been feeding my 12 year old cat Royal Canin Sensitivity Diet for cats for the the last 6 months and she's much better. Hardly ever vomits now. It costs around £7 for 12 pouches which is a bit more than Felix etc but it's definitely worth it. Your vet should have a stock of it. It doesn't contain preservatives which are apparently the culprits. It comes in Chicken or Duck flavour. My cat likes the chicken variety.
  • floyd
    floyd Posts: 2,722 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Floyd, I'm only saying what the vet told me regarding urine strength. I'm not a vet, so am obviously only repeating the information i was told. Although your comments sound viable, I still have a tendency to agree with my vet.

I'm a renal physiologist (someone who researches how kidneys work) so I have a fair idea whats going on but i would agree that kidney stones and cystitis in themselves are pretty uncomfortable so wet may work better.
    Sorry if I came across as a little pedantic, I just didn't want anyone else who reads this thread to think that by feeding their cats dry food that they will be commiting them to a life of internal burns :)
    A huge percentage of cats will lead healthy happy lives fed only dry food, a few will suffer digestive abnormalities figuratively speaking in the same way that some humans are sensitive to dairy or wheat :o
    Options
    and become diabetic.
  • shezzy
    shezzy Posts: 104 Forumite
    Options
    Many thanks to all of you who have replied, i will take on your advise :money:

shezzy
  • freejunkie
    freejunkie Posts: 484 Forumite
    Options
    i had excatly the same problem with my cat.
    i changed brands of food but she kept being sick.as she is 12 now i was extremly concerned and thought the worse.as i never had any thing like this with her before
    when i took her to the vet he suggested 'liquid paraffin' the fur balls become stuck in the throat liquid paraffin loosens it.
    Instant Cure!!! i keep a bottle (which is cheap enough) around the house now just in case
    hope this could work for your lil cat
    :j:j:j Wooooo Hooooo :j:j:j
  • shelly
    shelly Posts: 6,394 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    freejunkie wrote: »
    i had excatly the same problem with my cat.
    i changed brands of food but she kept being sick.as she is 12 now i was extremly concerned and thought the worse.as i never had any thing like this with her before
    when i took her to the vet he suggested 'liquid paraffin' the fur balls become stuck in the throat liquid paraffin loosens it.
    Instant Cure!!! i keep a bottle (which is cheap enough) around the house now just in case
    hope this could work for your lil cat

How do you get the liquid paraffin into your cat? Do you put it on the food or onto the legs/paws and let them lick it off?
    Our old lady is sick quite often due to trying to cough up furballs. The vet suggested something to put on the front legs/paws for her to lick off but I'm ashamed to say I haven't bought anything yet :o

thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport